Rear Bump Steer

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 10:43 AM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rear Bump Steer

Howdy,

What is rear bump steer? What does adjusting it do for you? Sorry for the rookie question but I just purchased a brake/hub upgrade which comes with all new suspension links etc. They told me that we will have to adjust and setup the rear bump steer??

Thanks in advance for any comments

Roy
Old 01-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by RWO:
<strong>Howdy,

What is rear bump steer? What does adjusting it do for you? Sorry for the rookie question but I just purchased a brake/hub upgrade which comes with all new suspension links etc. They told me that we will have to adjust and setup the rear bump steer??

Thanks in advance for any comments

Roy</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Hi Roy:

First off, I'd ask what car you are talking about as that will really help focus any suggestions and assistance.

Bump steer (front or rear) is the toe change that happens as the wheels move through their arc of travel from full droop to full bump. In the front, one adjusts this by either spacing the steering rack up or down or better yet, shimming the outer tie-rod ends vertically.

Its much tougher to do this in the rear and in some cases, its simply not adjustable. That's why I asked what car you have,....

The whole idea about adjusting bump steer is to minimize those toe changes that make a car unstable or difficult to control in a corner, and on bumpy surfaces.

Quick Reply: Rear Bump Steer