Sponsored by:

Can tires flat spot w/ ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Brian Morris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Can tires flat spot w/ ABS?

Can you flat spot tires with ABS? I did a DE with new Big Reds and PFC 97 pads which were very grabby so I was into ABS a lot. I have a small high speed vibration which I didn't have before - the bearings etc ... are all tight. I'm wondering if it's possible that I flat spotted the tires even though I have ABS. At one corner you could see many sets of my skid marks right before turn in - the marks were about two feet long.

This was on a very hot day - 100+ on the track, with Victoracers.

I'm getting all the wheels rebalanced tomorrow but I'm wondering if the tires have flat spots in them now.

--Brian Morris
89 951
Old 08-22-2002, 03:21 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think ABS equipped brakes will cause flat-spotting. The wheel is only stopping for just a split second, and then turning: you need the tire to be stopped and the car to be in motion for longer. Plus, every time you brake into a corner, chances are you're on a different section of the tire on your initial braking.

That said, if you put your car into a nice slide, ABS or not, you'll be flat spotting the tires!

If you did flat spot your tires, you can probably have them shaved down to take it out.

Have you checked your tire pressures? If you're off left to right, that can also cause some vibrations. Were you on the turtles or curbing on the track much? That can cause your wheels to be slightly out of line.

Just my $0.42
-Zoltan.

Quick Reply: Can tires flat spot w/ ABS?