Supplemental Head Restraints

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003 | 11:14 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post Supplemental Head Restraints

Guys,

As a part of my helmet research, I came accross this message on Bell Motorsports page. Any comments?

"BELL Motorsports and PYROTECT do NOT recommend any helmet restraint system whatsoever. To install such an aftermarket system on any BELL or PYROTECT helmet immediately voids all warranty's.

We suggest you review the Society of Automotive Engineers paper #2002-01-3304 from the SAE Motorsports conference of December 2002 completely and draw you own, independent conclusion as to install such a device or not.

We use our special, extra high density elastomeric contoured collar that fits down over the shoulders, is elliptical shape and sized the same as Snell 95 or later helmets. Impact in any direction will cause the helmet to initially compress the collar, and will do so without any instantaneous peak deceleration or neck rotation. This design limits neck extension, until full collar compression, without “snap”, and then should not cause neck compression, a possible serious consequence of some head restraint devices.

NOTE: We do not recommend, nor sell, round 360 degree collars. While useful off road to help support the weight of the collar, they perform no safety function. Polyfoam will not cause measurable impact absorption and on impact the helmet will come down in front of the collar, which could cause additional neck extension."

Can anyone access the cited SAE paper and post it, please?
Old 07-14-2003 | 12:24 AM
Geo
Race Director

Heh. I wonder how the guys in F1 feel about this as well as those in the CART Champ Cars. They all must wear a HANS.
Old 07-19-2003 | 10:22 AM
Paul Foster
Rennlist Member

It's called CYA. (Cover your ***.) If Bell doesn't approve the device they don't have to approve the installation of connectors to the devlce which usually requires drilling the helmet. That way if there are any resultant lawsuits they can claim they were not involved and even recommended against it.

I think it sucks. You should be able to purchase a helmet that already has the connectors for attaching the HANS so you don't have to send it away.

Quick Reply: Supplemental Head Restraints