Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Tips on stiffening rear end

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003 | 07:45 PM
Vagus
Intermediate

Post 944 Tips on stiffening rear end

What would be the best way to improve the rigidity of my 944 rearend?

After taking my car down to the strip I ran into a problem with my rear axle on the ground. My wheels will practically bounce down the first 30 ft of track trying to get traction. My rear KONIs are shot and will be replaced but I'd think that my tortion bars would play a bigger role in keeping the rear on the ground.

What would some of my options be?

Thanks
Dan
Old 07-13-2003 | 09:16 PM
Geo
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Vagus:
<strong>What would be the best way to improve the rigidity of my 944 rearend?

After taking my car down to the strip I ran into a problem with my rear axle on the ground. My wheels will practically bounce down the first 30 ft of track trying to get traction. My rear KONIs are shot and will be replaced but I'd think that my tortion bars would play a bigger role in keeping the rear on the ground.

What would some of my options be?

Thanks
Dan</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Nope. The worn dampers are a big part of the equation. The other thing to check is the bushings. Worn bushings will cause hop as well. The torsion bars have nothing to do with it.
Old 07-14-2003 | 09:50 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Um, yeah, try some new shocks properly valved to match your torsion bar rate. These cars have very nice rear suspensions, and do not suffer from odd axle-hop or trampling (normally) like some archaic solid-axle designs. But fix it soon! Those cross-axle torque oscillations are very hard on the drivetrain and WILL cause damage if allowed to go unchecked. Consider the cost of a new rearend, or a CV or two...
Old 07-15-2003 | 03:53 PM
Paul Foster
Rennlist Member

That's funny. My response disappeared from here too...

Quick Reply: 944 Tips on stiffening rear end