Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ISAAC head restraint system

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003 | 02:57 PM
Larry Weinstein
Instructor

Post ISAAC head restraint system

Wondering if anyone has purchased/used an Isaac head restraint system? Concept seems good. Improvement over HANS and other systems?
Old 07-10-2003 | 03:04 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Larry -

Check out this extensive discussion. It includes comments from Gregg Baker, the engineer who works for Isaac.

<a href="http://www.specracer.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=533&whichpage=1" target="_blank">Restraint Discussion - SRF Board</a>
Old 07-10-2003 | 03:54 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I have one, started using it since the start of the year. Can't compare to others including HANS, as it's the only one I've ever used. I do like it though; comfortable yet minimally restricting.
Old 07-10-2003 | 05:59 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I have the Isaac, but haven't installed it yet.

I've got to get those holes drilled. Snapping my neck with the Isaac sitting on the shelf at home would be like getting a ticket when the radar detector is in the glove compartment. It would add insult to injury.

Of course, it would also involve having my neck snapped, so it would add injury to insult to injury.
Old 07-10-2003 | 08:36 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Some advice for those using the Isaac...

Take the time to demo this system to the corner workers at any event you run.

CalClub recently did demos of the HANS and Hutchins but no one had an Isaac to demo, nor had any of the workers ever seen one. You do NOT want to wait for an emergency for these folks to try to figure out how to release you from the car.
Old 07-11-2003 | 09:42 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jack - are you aware of the update that allows you to use the high-end aerospace glue to bond the mounts to the helmet? Contact Greg, of coursr, to see about getting the kit. I'd highly recommend it, as I bolted mine in, and what a PITA!!!

Nothing like taking a drill to your $500 pride and joy kevlar lump...

Not that I'm much better - I still need to install the new yoke ends on the shocks. Upgradeable restraints are cool...
Old 07-11-2003 | 10:42 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Larry Weinstein:
<strong>Wondering if anyone has purchased/used an Isaac head restraint system? Concept seems good. Improvement over HANS and other systems?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Larry, I have worn only the Isaac so I have no comparison data to the other two devices. I have been thoroughly impressed with it and I continually forget that I have it on while on track. An item to add to the concept that I appreciate is that I physically cannot misattach the device - it cannot have slack and I, the **** retent that I am really appreciate both this aspect and the fact that it just doesn't show up on my radar while on track. I have had one impact since using the device although it is very unlikely that the impact was neither the type the device was designed for nor it was a direct blow (but it did require pulling the frame straight so who knows) however, I - the king of "oooh my neck" felt absolutely no soreness in the days that followed - that has stuck with me as a very good sign and very welcome confidence.
Old 07-11-2003 | 11:36 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Adam, I'm also in Charlotte. One weekend when I'm actually in town (going out of town for the 8th in a row this afternoon), I'd like to grab some lunch and take a look at the Isaac system if you don't mind. Heck, I can also grab lunch most weekdays too. Everything I've read about the system sounds great, but I'd like to see it up close before I commit to ordering one. Let me know if that's a possibility. Email should be in my profile.

Edit: I just saw the rental program on the website...then again, I'm pretty particular about my Simpson helmet and it's "aero" qualities in an open wheel car.
Old 07-11-2003 | 02:26 PM
Larry Weinstein
Instructor

I'm convinced. Just placed my order.
Old 07-11-2003 | 03:52 PM
Larry Weinstein
Instructor

You have to smile when you read their waiver...

<a href="http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Waiver.PDF" target="_blank">http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Waiver.PDF</a>
Old 07-11-2003 | 04:33 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone used the G-Force SSR? Any opinions otherwise?
Old 07-12-2003 | 07:41 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Larry,

Let me know how you like it too...

Thx,

Norm
Old 07-15-2003 | 04:57 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

I bought the Isaac system last December: I liked the engineering, the designer sounds serious, the lab data sounds credible. Also, I share the racecar with my wife for DEs, so I liked the idea of getting an extra set of cleats for her helmet instead of buying two separate restraints. I've used it for ~7 track days and a race weekend. I've posted previously on my impressions so only add now that I've really gotten used to it and it is 'transparent' while driving. I regret that the adhesive was not available when I bought it initially, sounds preferable to drilling.
Also, while Isaac seems to have good engineering and data, they are lousy at PR: I expected by now they would at least start showing up in comparison tests in Grassroots Msport or the SCCA mag, but they seem to be largely un-noticed...
Happy to give an Isaac 'tour' (caught myself before saying 'demo') at Mosport Aug 1/2, 911 G car #77
Brandon H

Quick Reply: ISAAC head restraint system