Sponsored by:

NHIS August 26 & 27

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 09:15 PM
Targamike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post NHIS August 26 & 27

Any Rennlisters going to the PCA DE at NHIS on the last Monday and Tuesday in August?
I'm up to the first spot on the wait-list in the green group (Keeping my fingers crossed).
Old 08-16-2002, 01:05 PM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TargaMike, Have fun at NHIS but be aware that it is a VERY dangerous track (IMO). I used to run there on a Motorcycle but after hearing and witnessing( having flagged there I've seen a bit) things there I don't run there anymore. Some examples are:

1. Car flipping over the barrier at the uphill turn and landing upside down in the oncoming traffic coming back into the oval.

2. Formula Dodge driver had to be cut out of his car in "the bowl" due to the fact the concrete wall is too close...Not ample runoff there.

3. Numerous motorcycles going off at the uphill since the transition from the oval to the road course is not so good.

I'm writing this not to disuade you from going but please be careful out there.

Cheers, James
Old 08-16-2002, 04:56 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

It is good to remind ourselves that any track has the potential to be dangerous at speed. And just as at any track, there are certain aspects of NHIS that deserve an extra measure of respect; however, I don't particularly think that NHIS should be singled out as being extreme in that regard.

In the times I've run there, I haven't witnessed the number or severity of incidents to be disproportionate to other tracks. It is true that the transitions to and from the oval aren't ideal, and those concrete walls are close in places; but every track (at least every one I've driven) has its own hazards. Lime Rock has plenty of places to get into trouble, the Glen has all that blue Armco up close, etc. There was a fatality at Pocono in an SCCA race less that two weeks ago.

It could be that drivers at DE events recognize NHIS's particular issues, and avoid driving ten tenths in the tougher areas. But then a DE isn't the place for ten tenths driving anyway.

Mike, NCR is a great group of folks. They run an excellent DE and have a top-shelf instructor program. You can be sure that your instructor will make you aware of the areas that deserve extra caution (for her/his benefit as well as yours...). Just don't try to make a race of it, and remember why it's called Driver's Ed.

Hope you get into the event and have a great time.

Matt
Old 08-16-2002, 05:18 PM
Stem
Instructor

New 02C2 and haven't been to a PCA event yet. Reckon there is any chance on getting in at this late date???
Old 08-16-2002, 06:01 PM
Vinny '98 3.8 C2S
Racer

Targamike, I think you'll enjoy NHIS. I've run there with the Keith Code Superbike school as well as instructing a few events for PCA. I agree with Matt:
<<<just as at any track, there are certain aspects of NHIS that deserve an extra measure of respect; however, I don't particularly think that NHIS should be singled out as being extreme in that regard.>>>

I think it's more important for students to understand the unique aspects (hazards) of each turn at the track. At every track you'll find places where you can push it a little more and others where you need to be extra cautious. Your instructor will help you sort out the two.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:17 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Stem,

I understand the beginner and novice groups are full, though there are (were?) openings in the intermediate, advanced and instructor groups. I'd be going myself, but I can't make it this time around.

There are a good number of DE events scheduled for Sept., Oct. and even Nov., not a lot at NHIS but more at Lime Rock, which isn't that much farther from the Cape (though about the same distance from Anchorage...)

Matt
Old 08-16-2002, 10:11 PM
Targamike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the interesting replies...actually this will be my second trip to NHIS this summer (first with Metro NY).
Not that I have much to compare it to (one day at Lime Rock), but I actually rather enjoyed the track. Even though it's roughly the same length as Lime Rock, it seems much more twisty...lots of fun but pretty hard on tires/brakes.
The bowl in the back section was a blast as is that tight righthand hairpin as you leave the oval section and start to go up hill. I had many Dukes of Hazard, tail-out runs going into it.
I look forward to Watkins Glen and Mont Tremblant(though probably not this year)

Quick Reply: NHIS August 26 & 27