Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh no! (Yet another tow vehicle thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh no! (Yet another tow vehicle thread)

Ok folks - as some of you know, I've been searching for a tow-vehicle/daily driver.

Here are the details:
Car - My 944S2 - weight ~3000 lbs.
Trailer - hopefully a Trailex Aluminum trailer. weight - ~ 1000 lbs (I think)
Gear - ~500 lbs.

So rough estimate, I will be pulling ~ 4500 lbs.

Now there are tons of trucks/SUV's with a 5000 lb towing rating. But that leaves me no buffer. I figure I need at least ~7000 lb towing capacity.

While bigger is better, I don't want to get an F450 Dually. This car will also be my daily driver, and though I'm not a tree-hugger, I don't want something that will cost me a king's ransome in gas to keep on the road. I also prefer a 4x4 or AWD over just RWD. Although this winter's been light, we had some bad winters in the past, and I have an AWD DD now (Subaru Legacy) and love it's ability to go through anything.

That said, I think I've narrowed it down to 2 choices: A Ford Sport Trac and the Dodge Dakota Quad cab.

Some specs & notes on the choices. Note: Both models are similarly equipped, although the Dakota is the top-of-the-line model, vs. the Ford Sport Trac XLT.

Ford Sport Trac XLT:
Motor: 4.6l V8 (292hp & 300 lb-ft of torque)
Axle ratio: 3.55
Drive: 4x4
Wheels/tires: 17" with P245/65-17 tires
Towing Capacty: 6990 lbs.
Cost: ~ $29k
Notes: Trailer pacakge includes a Class III/IV receiver and 7-pin connector

Dodge Dakota Laramine 4x4
Motor: 4.7l V8 (260 hp & 290 lb-ft of torque)
Axle ratio: 3.92
Drive: 4x4
Wheels/tires: 18" with P265/60-18 tires
Towing Capacity: 6800 lbs
Cost: ~ $30k
Notes: Trailer package includes Class IV receiver, 7-pin connector, and tranny and power steering cooler and bigger radiator, & bigger battery

I'm really leaning towards the Ford Sport Trac - though I only test drove the Dakota, it seems that the Ford will be a much better ride given it's SUV-based chassis and independant suspension front and back. The Ford also offers far more headroom, and at 6'2", that is something that is necessary.

If I'm going to be towing rought 6/8 times a year to DE's, is it absolutely necessary to have the extra duty stuff like the tranny/PS coolers, bigger radiator...etc? Or does the Ford already have better equipment over the Dakota?

So - what do you think? Are there any other choices I should be looking at that are similarly equiped, similarly sized, and similarly priced?

Thanks,
-Z-man.

Last edited by Z-man; 02-04-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:01 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

SportTrac - is that not one of the most unstable (roll-over-prone) SUV's out there?? Durango - much more capable, based on what we've seen @ work. Plus they do seem to have a certain price advantage about now, thanks to DC's production plans!! Are you including discounts in your pricing estimates above?

I have to admit, I've been considering a Durango as a possible next tow vehicle, once I'm ready to replace my minivan. That or maybe an Outlook (though I'm sure many here would poo-poo that choice).
Old 02-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by 924RACR
SportTrac - is that not one of the most unstable (roll-over-prone) SUV's out there?? Durango - much more capable, based on what we've seen @ work. Plus they do seem to have a certain price advantage about now, thanks to DC's production plans!! Are you including discounts in your pricing estimates above?

I have to admit, I've been considering a Durango as a possible next tow vehicle, once I'm ready to replace my minivan. That or maybe an Outlook (though I'm sure many here would poo-poo that choice).
I had a typo in my first post - I'm looking at the Dodge Dakota pickup, not the Duragno -- I had considered it, but it is roughly $5k more than that Dakota.

The Ford Sport Trac has been redesigned for '07 (There was no 2006 model). The 2007 models received a 5 star crash rating from the NHTSA.

I suspect that the Dodge will drive more like a truck, whereas the Ford will drive more like an SUV/car. Given the daily driver aspect of the vehicle, I would like a better ride.

Sorry for the confusion.
-Z
Old 02-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have to have a pickup? I know a few people who tow with the new Durango Hemi's, and they work very well for them. And they are nice enough daily drivers.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Larry - I don't need a pickup, but in terms of looks, I kinda prefer the 4-door with small pickup bed look over the traditional SUV look. The only SUV I think that looks nice within my price range is the Nissan Murano, but that only tows 3500 lbs. (Of course, I could look into a Benz G-wagon, but at 80k, it's a bit over my price range...

-Z
Old 02-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Z-man
Of course, I could look into a Benz G-wagon, but at 80k, it's a bit over my price range...
WHAT, no employee discount?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

How about the new Chevy Silverado pick-em up? With the 5.3 engine the rate it at 20mpg on the highway with 300hp.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF those were my only choices, I would go with the Ford any day. BTW, a Trailex like mine, CT-7541, weighs 890lbs plus tire rack and tool box, so under 1000lbs.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bull
IF those were my only choices, I would go with the Ford any day. BTW, a Trailex like mine, CT-7541, weighs 890lbs plus tire rack and tool box, so under 1000lbs.
Bob,
I am open to other cars, but the two above are my top choices for now. What would you suggest as other choices?

Good to know the weight of a trailex. Post updated.

Thanks,
-Z
Old 02-04-2007, 02:34 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Although those are fine vehicles I'll offer up the Toyota 4runner. It meets or exceeds the specs you defined. Must get the V8 engine. if you get the higher end trim packages ($32k+) you can get self leveling air bag assist suspension.

7000 lbs towing
20-21 mpg on open secondary roads (45-55 mph)
19-20 highway mpg
17-18 city mpg
base model comes w/tow package & tranny cooler
same hp/trq as the Ford and more than the Dodge
lighter overall w/better pwr/wght and driving overall (~7 second 0-60)
might have bigger brakes but I need to double check this
I am 6'3" and have plenty of headroom (without sunroof)
tows really nice
will last forever
can definitley be had for under $30k (my SR5 was $28k)

I owned an '02 Dodge Ram1500 4.7 and it ended up being too big of a vehicle for my daily commute. I also had quality problems with that truck and it had really bad mpg for daily driving.

The 4Runner tows better than the truck I had. I tow a 1700lb trailer, 2550 lb car and about 300 lbs of gear.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Bob,
I am open to other cars, but the two above are my top choices for now. What would you suggest as other choices?

Thanks,
-Z
Have you looked at a new or used MB ML? I towed with one well over 50k miles and had zero issues with it. Mine was the v8 version. Tow capacity is 5k but in Europe it is over 7k lbs. No issues towing it at the capacity in my experience. Also makes a better than average DD.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:59 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to argue with the 4Runner if it has a true 7000lbs capacity (but, as mentioned many times, check the GCWR, not the towing capacity).

A nice used diesel Excursion fits in your price range. Hard to beat the utility of one!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
A nice used diesel Excursion fits in your price range. Hard to beat the utility of one!
Yeah, if you like driving a dump truck around. I drove one after they came out, and my Denali handles like a Porsche compared to the Excursions. Hard to beat them for the type of towing that we do though.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:20 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

The VW Touareg would fit the bill perfectly. A used on would be in the price range as well. I have an '06 and it is a great vehical. Fast, handles well, and tows a 20' enclosed trailer well so an open is a no brainer.

Mike
Old 02-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob,

Thanks,
-Z
If you want a Crew Cab pick-up, I would go full size...as in F150 Crew Cab XLT (for an open aluminum trailer). You will find them for the same or less than the Sport Trac. More capacity, more utility, longer wheelbase and better resale.

If you make the switch to an SUV, go with one made on a 1/2 ton truck chassis.

Quick Reply: Oh no! (Yet another tow vehicle thread)