Club Racing rules interp.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Al P.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Club Racing rules interp.

The rules state that:

"Wheel spacers are allowed for tire clearance only. The use of overly wide spacers which place higher than normal vertical loads on spindles and bearings is a safety hazard and will. therefore not be allowed."

Now, before I call Lance Weeks and ask a stupid question does anyone have an opinion as to whether the spacers I use that allow me to use late wheels on an early 944 would be allowed?
Old 10-14-2002, 04:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
MY Interpertation is this. Wheel spacers are ok for tire clearance. early offset cars with late wheels need spacers for wheel cleance. Therefore they are ok.

This seems like a pretty common swap.

I think the are trying to prevent using spacers to signifcantly increase the track width of the car. If this done with spacers It can overstress parts especially on the track.

... Anybody else?????
Old 10-15-2002, 08:05 AM
Al P.
Pro

Thanks, that's the way I saw it also, I hope PCA sees it the same way.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:51 AM
dk944s2
Instructor

In Zone 8 rules for auto-X, they assess a points penalty for a track increase of more than 2 inches, which effectively prevents the use of huge spacers.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:47 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

"I think the are trying to prevent using spacers to signifcantly increase the track width of the car. If this done with spacers It can overstress parts especially on the track."

I think the distinction is whether or not you're significantly changing the track-width. With '87+ wheels, you'll actually be reducing the track width. Thus spacers will just restore it (and offset) back to stock amount, so they should be OK.

Also you want to compute the torque-moment at the spindle due to spacers. If you're restoring late-offset wheels back to early-offset on an early car, the torque-moment will be the same as early-offset wheels on early car. However, if you're increasing offset beyond stock levels (and track-width), like 930 wheels on a 911, then you'd have a larger lateral torque on the bearings

Quick Reply: Club Racing rules interp.