Driver race seat only OK for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 10:28 PM
a4944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Driver race seat only OK for DE?

Hi All,
I need to get a race seat for headroom considerations. I will be using the car for a combination track and fun street car. I'd like to keep the passenger seat stock (harnesses for both sides though and I have already installed a roll bar) to save some money and to keep the more comfortable and pratical stock seat for passengers on the street. Is this OK for PCA events? I've just started running in the advanced group (8-9 events) but that's in a stock Audi A4. I'm getting the 951 ready for the fall.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
It would be fine in the Chicago Region for DEs.

In fact, my race car passed PCA CR tech like that.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:05 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check with the region. Some require equal seat/equal restraint.

If you never take an instructor or rider, then you can use whatever you want.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:41 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely check with your local region. PCA San Diego Region requires equal seats and equal restraints.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:55 PM
Z-man
Race Director

For NNJR, the rules are that similar equipment must be on both driver's and passenger's sides for those that require an instructor. A race-driver's seat and a stock seat won't pass inspection IF you need an instructor in my region.

However, what will pass is this: you can have a more expensive driver's race seat, and an intermediate racer's seat for the passenger.

The issue is a race seat provides better protection than a stock seat, since there is a 'pass through' for the harnesses in a race seat. Safety considerations must be equal for both driver and passenger.

Would you like to instruct a student that basically is saying: "Your life is not as important as mine." ? ? ?

-Z-man.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:37 PM
a4944
Racer

Just looking for rules. I've heard so many conflicting things about what is safe and what isn't. Is a race seat always safer? I don't really know for sure. I'd rather have the stock, but I don't fit. I'll follow whatever rules the club I run in decides is best.

BTW, what do instructors do when the student has a race seat that's too small? I'm not an instructor yet but I am slightly worried about this if I ever become one. I have wide hip bones and there are seats I will not fit in.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-30-2003, 05:50 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by a4944:
<strong>Just looking for rules. I've heard so many conflicting things about what is safe and what isn't. Is a race seat always safer?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">And the answer is...it depends.

A race seat is safer in the environment it was designed for: A race car with a cage and restraints.

In a car without a rollbar, it may not be the best option, as a stock type seat is designed to fold and deform in a rollover, instead of holding the driver straigt up in the seat and making him the "rollbar". The same argument can be made for harnesses.

Personally, I don't believe in compromises. I believe you should either stay with a stock seat, stock belts, etc. and drive at no more than 7-8/10th's, OR, install a rollbar, racing seats, and a 6-point harness and drive at 9-10/10th's. I don't see room for compromises when you are going 150+ mph on a race track and sliding a car through turns at the limits of adhesion. A typical SCCA ITC car runs lap times as much as 20-30 seconds slower than an off the showroom floor 996 on some tracks and yet the ITC car is required to have a full compliment of safety equipment...food for thought.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:38 AM
Z-man
Race Director

To clarify:
If you are using a 5 or 6 point harness, then the race seat is definately safer than using harnesses with stock seats. (Some regions will not allow the use of harnesses with stock seats).

In the event of a serious jostle, the harnesses can slip of the shoulders with used with stock seats.

That's what I meant by race seats are safer than stock seats.

-Z-man.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Z-man

My passenger seat, as stated above is stock. My six point belts are roll bar mounted and have an "H" back so they can't slip off. Would you still have doubts?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:30 AM
eugene
Racer

a4944.

Switch instructors if you can't fit into a seat
of a student's car.

Eugene.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Z-man
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Mike in Chi:
<strong>Z-man

My passenger seat, as stated above is stock. My six point belts are roll bar mounted and have an "H" back so they can't slip off. Would you still have doubts?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Yes, I would. Even with the H-strap the shoulder harnesses can slip. It is the pass-through in the seat the prevents any slippage.

In my region, if you required an instructor, your car would probably fail. Again, both seats must offer equal protection.

That said, while I have 6 point harnesses with the H-strap in my car, I still use stock seats (Both driver and passenger). While it is not as safe as using race seats, the driver / passenger sides are equal in terms of seat safety.

-Z-man.

Quick Reply: Driver race seat only OK for DE?