Sponsored by:

In car Video Reccomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003 | 08:45 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post In car Video Reccomendations?

Anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other as to camcorders models for taping race/de/autocrosses? My old HI8 is dead or dying and I'm looking to replace it. Any models people are real happy with or ones to avoid? anything with good image stabilization? Thanks!
Old 06-29-2003 | 09:48 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

A bit on the pricey side but my Canon GL1 is incredibly good. The optical stabilizer really works and the Zeiss lens and 3 ccd image processor provide great video. My "still clips" taken from in car movies at 200+ mph are smply great. I edit using a dual Mac which helps too! There are lots of choices out there but the optical stabilizer feature sold me on the GL1! I have used it three years with dozens of very high speed runs wthout problems. good luck with your evdeavor!

R
Old 06-30-2003 | 12:08 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Old 07-01-2003 | 08:27 AM
Jack667
Drifting

One piece of advice: The most important feature is "Video In" where you can add a small camera and feed the signal into your camcorder. The low mass of these remote cameras will resolve all of your problems with shaky video. You can start with just the camcorder and add the remote camera later. I think the good remote cameras are under $200.
Old 07-01-2003 | 10:39 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Try:

<a href="http://www.racecam.com" target="_blank">www.racecam.com</a>

Expensive, but excellent stuff!
Old 07-01-2003 | 03:20 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

The optical image stabilization on my Canon Elura was terrible. I had to switch to a lipstick-style camera fed into the camcorder.

There are a number of advantages to the lipstick cameras. You can put them just about anywhere (even outside the car), and you don't need the expensive and heavy mounts that you'd need to hold a full camcorder in place. A couple of zip-ties and some foam padding and you're good to go.
Old 07-06-2003 | 12:53 PM
Tim Comeau
Racer

Jack, THAT is precisely what I've been looking for. I bought a small remote camera but can't seem to find a camcorder that will accept video input from another camera. I need one with the RCA type plugs,(one yellow, one white). I have the small camera converted to run on car voltage. I'll search some more, but do you have a specific model or manufacturer that might shorten my endeavor?
Old 07-06-2003 | 03:38 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

My Elura has an 1/8-inch plug going in, and it comes with an adapter cable that allows me to attach a microphone and lipstick camera, both of which use RCA plugs. I don't think you'll find a modern camera with RCA inputs, but one with an 1/8-inch input will probably function in exactly the same way -- just check to see what the included cable has on its ends.

Another thing to consider: my Elura can only record with a remote camera if it's put in the VCR mode (like you'd use to watch a tape you've shot), but there's no 'record' button on the camera when you're in VCR mode. You have to use the hand-held remote to start it recording. Some guys see using the remote as a convenience, since you don't have to snake your arm back to wherever the camera is to start the camera, but I always feel a little queasy about tossing the remote into the glove compartment at the last minute. (I don't want it bouncing around the cockpit if I don't close the glove compartment all the way.) I think ideally, I'd want a camcorder with both a 'record' button (for VCR mode) and a remote control that can start second-camera recording.

Let us know what your research turns up. I'm sure there's an ideal DV camera out there.
Old 07-06-2003 | 08:23 PM
Jupeman
7th Gear

I highly recommend the bullet cam approach for stable video that is high quality and preserves your camcorder (since you can isolate it in a foam bag). Check out the cool mounts here: <a href="http://www.gtc-motorsports.com/products/" target="_blank">http://www.gtc-motorsports.com/products/</a>

To see the results of using these mounts, check out the video here (it has been shared elsewhere on the Rennlist board, too): <a href="http://www.gtc-motorsports.com/gallery/videos/2003-wg-tq-cb-tangina/vipercam_medium.mov" target="_blank">http://www.gtc-motorsports.com/gallery/videos/2003-wg-tq-cb-tangina/vipercam_medium.mov</a>

These guys were advertising at the track this past weekend. $575 buys you the mount and camera, a good deal I thought.
Old 07-06-2003 | 09:50 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

That's a nice product, but the price seems excessive. The camera itself is only around $200.

$375 for a mount?
Old 07-06-2003 | 11:12 PM
Laura
Pro

Jack, Try some "Hook & Latch", extra tough Velcro to the remote and to a easily accessible spot in the car (side of the seat, tunnel, glove box, under dash...)it will stay put. Some guys stick it between the seat cushions but that must mean 1) if it's driver's seat, the race seat is too big for them, or 2) passenger seat, get rid of the extra weight.
Old 07-07-2003 | 11:40 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Jack,
I'm the guy who developed the 911 camera mount, so I thought I'd give you a bit of an explanation. If you read my "story" write-up in aforementioned link, you learned the process involved in actually designing the mount. I spent many, many engineering hours reverse-engineering the original side marker lens and modifying it to accept the lipstick camera in an elegant fashion. I had a series of rapid prototypes made to ensure a perfect fit, and finally sent the part out to be molded.

While the cost to get to this point is not trivial, producing each mount on a low-volume basis is much more expensive than you might envision. This is not a $5 plastic piece, it is a very custom and unique component that was expensive to design and manufacture, and that is reflected in the price of the kit. The final product will be made of a translucent urethane, so the installation will be quite stealthy. It will most likely be complete in approximately one month.

In addition to the lipstick camera and the mount, the kit will also include a powered microphone, all necessary cables to plug directly into a camcorder, a power cord and switch, and a full set of installation directions. You are correct that an individual can purchase a camera on their own and mount it to the car with foam and zip ties for a lower cost, such as you have done. I'm simply providing an alternative for those who want all of the work done for them in a complete package.

If you have additional feedback, I would enjoy chatting with you about the topic. My email address can be found in my profile, so feel free to shoot me a message, if you feel so inclined. Happy video taping!
Old 07-07-2003 | 06:19 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I'm not knocking the product, MuffinMan. It looks like a very clever and durable solution. And I know that developing products for a marketplace as small as 74-89 911 owners is a very expensive game. The price just seems excessive relative to what I'd be willing to pay for a camera and mount, especially when it (mostly) precludes moving the camera around, which is part of the fun of the lipstick cameras.
Old 07-10-2003 | 01:16 PM
UrbanSasquatch
Advanced

Race cam. Why? Adjustable filter to keep the dash bright and the windshield dark. An unfiltered camera can see either, but not both very well.
Old 07-10-2003 | 06:47 PM
Ken T
Advanced

Anybody have any site locations of quality lipstick cams they have used? Also, any smaple video? Thanks.

Quick Reply: In car Video Reccomendations?