Sponsored by:

Intro to Data Analysis presentation now online

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007 | 11:42 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Intro to Data Analysis presentation now online

Boy, I go away for a day and look what I miss!

Well, anyway, after much work and review - not to mention a note of thanks to Sunday Driver for input and editing - the Intro to Data Analysis presentation is finally done:
http://vaughanscott.com/AIM/Data_Analysis_Intro.pps

This is intended to help explain how to get going analyzing your data for driver improvement; it should be a worthwhile read whether you've not yet bought a data aquisition system, have got one and are still trying to figure out what to do with it, or even perhaps if you've been using it for a little while.

I decided to put it together, with another Waterford Hills racer, for presentation to our clubmembers at an upcoming monthly meeting (TBD, either March or April, in the Detroit area), and decided it should be made available online, since there seems to be so little out there in the way of literature on the subject...

Of course, this one is free, with a moneyback guarantee! So, enjoy, hope it's instructive, and if you're in the SE Michigan area, consider dropping by for the presentation (I'll post a notice once the schedule is confirmed)...

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:20 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, no responses? Did anyone check this out? I figured rennlisters would be all over it, given our preoccupation with DAS. Or did I just bring it out at a bad time of the month (GR)?
Old 02-04-2007 | 11:26 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Wow, no responses? Did anyone check this out? I figured rennlisters would be all over it, given our preoccupation with DAS. Or did I just bring it out at a bad time of the month (GR)?
I think it is because of the bad help you got on it. Seriously, 50+ views and no one has a comment? I think it was damn nice of you to do this and post it for this group.
Old 02-04-2007 | 11:34 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am not even a novice, but have just installed a DAS system to start using at the track. I was a little concerned about how I would use the data and analyze it to help me become better, but this presentation will definately help me once I have gotten some baseline data and can start to analyze it - thanks for putting this together. I obviously have a long way to go with this stuff, but this will definately help speed up my learning curve.

Thanks a whole bunch.

-Skip
Old 02-04-2007 | 11:56 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

924RACR, 1st let me say thanks for taking the time to put this together. The number of views I think says a lot, number of comments tells me people are looking for more information, and assistance with the value and the installation. Then what to do with the data once they have it. There are great resources out there for those that are seeking help. Look to your local dealer, to provide someone with expertise in the installation, and showing you how to use it.
I appreciate all the hard work you both put in to it!
Thanks.
Old 02-04-2007 | 12:03 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Very nice of you to post this presentation. A couple of comments:

- I don't think a "con" of GPS systems is Resolution; if anything, it's a pro. You can actually see your lines with GPS systems, which I don't think you can with beacon-based.

- IMHO, a "con" of GPS systems is "less developed software".

- Race Technology is not known as "Racetech"-- it's just Race Technology.

- A turn-numbered track map would have helped. Tough to understand the "Turn" references.

- Listing "Basic signals", you mixed inputs (RPM) with internally-calculated measurements (g's, speed) which could confuse novices. Might want to distinguish betwen inputs and calculated measurements.

Again, great presentation!
Old 02-04-2007 | 12:38 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool, thanks!

Good points Eric; I'm getting some more feedback now that this is at this level of distribution, will probably be making some more updates in the next few weeks and reposting (when I'm home - day job in vehicle dynamics means I'm away at Winter Test almost all the time till March)...

Definitely one of the less-developed slides was the system comparison - with more feedback from other users (both online and when we present this) that should improve, so thanks for the comments and keep 'em coming.

On the "basic signals" - the signals you mention would be calculated internally with a GPS system, correct, but with sensors, they're measured (as in my AIM MyChron). But let me ask this - does it matter so much that they are calculated vs. measured? Either way, they may be subjected to accuracy issues - after all, I can have wheelspin affect my one speed sensor, or brake slip or wheel lock if it were up front, and my lateral signal is affected by filtering I can't change, even though it is measured - so is there any need to distinguish? I would think that would only provide another point for confusion for a novice? Seems to me that either way, you have to validate your data channels regardless? (hence the warning about filtering - maybe I should expand on that)
Old 02-04-2007 | 12:45 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Very cool, thanks. I saved it to my desktop and will study it when I get out of the garage today...unless that happens to at kickoff.
Old 02-04-2007 | 04:46 PM
PPo
Drifting

Thanks for posting!!! Would you mind if I copied the link to another board?? I know of some people up here in Toronto that would really appreciate your work...

cheers,
Patrick
Old 02-04-2007 | 05:03 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for putting it together and posting.
Old 02-04-2007 | 05:08 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Of course, Pat, that's what it's there for...
Old 02-04-2007 | 06:36 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Vaughn, regarding "basic signals" I just thought it would be worth distinguishing inputs from analysis variables. The novice has 2 questions here: (1) what do I have to hook up to my logger (how difficult & expensive is the installation?!), and (2) what variable should I be concerned with during data analysis. Two different questions with different answers as you know... with GPS systems you just need to wire up RPMs... with beacon based you need to hook up RPMs and wheel speed sensor(s). With either your analysis variables are the same.
Old 02-05-2007 | 10:57 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah, OK, thanks for clarifying...
Old 02-05-2007 | 12:19 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Thanks for the presentation, it was very informative. Now I actually know something about what to do with all the data I collected last year
Old 02-05-2007 | 02:30 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

As a driver considering a data system to help improve my driving, I find the presentation interesting but it leaves me with a number of questions. The most prominant one is: "That all looks great and I can see the value, but who taught you the interpretation and how long did that take?" Just buying and installing the data system isn't going to do anything (other than lighten your wallet) unless there is a way to learn how to interpret the data acquired and use the software that comes with the system that's installed.

Quick Reply: Intro to Data Analysis presentation now online