Sponsored by:

Fire Bottle and Sub-belt Mount Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 02:00 PM
JJG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fire Bottle and Sub-belt Mount Problems

Anyone install a Brey Krause fire bottle mount and dual sub-belt hardware on the same front seat rail bolts (stock '96 993 seats)? My problem has been that I need to leave the rear seat rail bolts loose so I have some play in the rail while I slip the bottle and sub-belt hardware under the front of the seat rail. But with the fire bottle mount installed, I can't move the seat forward enough to expose the rear seat rail bolts.

I've also used some washers in the rear of both seats in order to match the thickness of the hardware under the seat rail (so the seat rail remains roughly level). However, I'm worried that I'm getting enough "bite" out of the existing seat rail bolts - especially in the rear where the bolts screw into the body metal. Are there longer bolts that I can buy? Any suggestions? TIA

Jeff
Old 07-23-2002, 05:21 PM
Wil Ferch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi:
Although not directly answering your question, I will say that I too once used the BK fire extinguisher mount on the front side passenger location, and found similar mounting problems. The lack of seat adjustment and having the FE exposed to be kicked around by DE instructors coming on-board...made me rethink the whole set up. I now have the FE mounted on the rear roll cage of my car, on the passenger vertical, and I can easily reach it by reaching behind the passenger seat from my driver's location. Used "U" bolts and fuel hose tubing to protect the paint on the roll-bar. On the other hand, if you keep what you have, you can buy longer seat bolts than standard, these are ( I believe) 8 mm diamter, recessed hex cap screws using 6 mm hex sockets. Normal is ( again, from memory) 16 mm length, and you can buy longer lengths from an industrial supply house. Make sure you maintain the original metric grade 8.8 strength rating ( similar to US grade 5), but you can also use grade 10.9 or 12.9. These hi-strength units will probably come in black finish, and not be gold cad plated, but that shouldn't be a problem.
--Wil Ferch
Old 07-23-2002, 07:07 PM
JJG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Wil. I found some good advice - check my post in the 993 forum.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Fire Bottle and Sub-belt Mount Problems