Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ayrton Senna Monaco Qualifying Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 07:46 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ayrton Senna Monaco Qualifying Question?

I am sad to say that I cant remember what year it was when he qualified in the rain faster and faster each lap having already nailed the pole time a long time before. Many consider it the greatest pure driving episode in the history of racing.

I was on a flight today and thinking about it. Anyone remember what year and how I could possibly get a copy of the footage? For years I have scoured Duke Video and Classic Motorbooks and some of the smaller outfits to no avail.

Thanx for the help.

E. J.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:52 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Sorry, E.J., but I can't help you with a tape.

But you got me to thinking... wasn't there also a year when practice was washed out at Monaco, he got into the car cold for qualifying, did one flying lap, setting a new lap record, climbed out of the car, and left?

I didn't appreciated him when he was alive.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

EJ, Forix website has gobs of data on F1. Click on the URL and select Senna's Monaco info below:

<a href="http://www.forix.com/asp/go.asp?z=0&k=0&l=0&c=0" target="_blank">Forix F1 Search</a>

Some people would say that Senna has been glorified in death beyond his real stats, but he outqualified Schumacher with what many considered a lesser car in each of 1994's races before his death. Senna was punted out in the first two races before his fatal crash at San Marino.
Wouldn't it have been fantastic to see these two great drivers go at it for a couple more seasons!
Old 05-10-2002, 11:01 AM
TimS
Track Day

I, too, cannot point you to the specific date for the race you are thinking of . . . though I can't help thinking of the brilliant race he ran in the rain at Monaco in 1984 when driving for Toleman-Hart.

In any case, many clips of Senna's driving can be found at <a href="http://www.ayrtonsennaforever.it/video.htm" target="_blank">Senna Clips</a>

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Ayrton Senna Monaco Qualifying Question?