Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you still feel nervous before each race?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the feeling is natural - it's happened to me my entire life before any competitive event. How about rituals? I've found that I need to be able to get all hooked up and in the car plenty early so I don't feel rushed. Once in the car, I can ease some of the adrenal by slow, deep breathes. I don't think I could ever get outside of the car and hang out waiting for the starter to give the 5 minute signal like a lot of guys in PCA racing do. I've seen too many 5 minute signals turn into "start engines" in about 90 seconds. I guess I'd rather be hot than rushed. Plus, for me, that feeling is part of the rush of racing.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

EXACTLY Joe!!

...that is something I neglected to mention. I'm the same way, would rather sit in the car and cook than hangout like some of the other guys until the "5 min. warning".

I'm way too regimented when it comes to strapping in and getting comfortable...but I admire the HELL out of the guys that can do that, I guess that is their way of calming the 'ol nerves??

Or maybe they just have a FAST way of strapping in??
Old 08-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Another thing. It is always a good idea to have a mental checklist and an assistant with you to help in case you forget something. I can think of nothing worse than forgetting a glove or a window net and not making the starting grid or getting blackflagged.

I also have my assistant bring a sun shade, and a bottle or two of water.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:19 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

I also have my assistant bring a sun shade, and a bottle or two of water.

Yeah, just be sure to remember to get rid of the bottle before the race starts...
Old 08-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

DJ,
You mean your car doesn't have cupholders?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Joe & Jeff,

I'm the same way. I don't like to rush myself before I get into the car, or even my kart. I'm usually one of the first ones on the grid who is ready. Some of my racing buddies can just hop in and go, but I'm not like that. I need to be as relaxed as possible before I get on the track.

Rich
Old 08-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

In a word, yes, I'm still nervous.

No matter how much I go to the bathroom before a race, I always end up needing to go on the grid. This weekend at an SCCA Pro Formula Race, I waited and waited and waited. Turns out, they decided to give the grid workers a break and didn't inform those of us on the grid....just when I can't take it any longer, I hop out of the car, run to the bathroom, only to hear the 5-minute whistle as I'm zipping up my racing suit. Sprint to the car, get buckled in, and finish sliding on my gloves as I roll off the pre-grid.

Once the visor comes down and I start warming up the tires, all the butterflies go away and I get down to business...I've worked on making it a mental "switch" at which point all of my nervous energy turns into aggressiveness and excitement about the start. I learned my lesson, when I qualified on pole for my first Star Mazda Pro race, got really nervous, and ended up losing 3-4 positions by T1 of my Speed Channel debut. As a result, it's seldom now that I lose a position on the start, and I often gain 5-6 if I've had a bad qualifying session. There's nothing like making a pass on 4 cars in T1 with two wheels in the dirt. It's sorta like driving in the rain, you've simply got to decide that you aren't going to get out manuevered and then make it happen...it's all mental.

While it's nice to get in the car way early, relax, and let the anxiousness subside, I'd rather take the excitement and channel it towards a run to the front.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Rennlist Member

Bryan,

You qualified on Pole w/ the Stars' series? Great job!

Rich
Old 08-11-2003, 11:25 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Ha, yeah, in the rain. Unfortunately we raced in the dry where I was subsequently shown to be a huge pretender and was relegated to a 17th place finish. Knowing what I know now, I would have moved to England when I first started this stuff 3 years ago where rain races are the norm. I'm working on a system that will spray water on my helmet at all times, hoping to trick myself into believing its raining...it might be the answer I need to compete with these darn guys who were racing karts when I took the training wheels off my bicycle.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Rennlist Member

Bryan - hey, at least you are there mixing it up w/ some talented drivers in a competitive series!
Old 08-12-2003, 01:23 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

I have never fallen asleep but my first few races I'd yawn like crazy. I thought to myself - hey this is cool, I'm soooo laid back ... then I found out that its a sign of nervousness where you aren't getting enough oxygen or something (some form of hyperventilating??? - I forgot, hehe, I guess I was nervous). I've done 32 races now and I don't yawn as much (could simply be self-conscious of it??) but I do notice that I get the jitters or conversely *seem* calm at the strangest times - starting more forward than I know I should be in a wet race at Road Atlanta having just tagged the front straight wall in qualifying (which was the first time I drove RA in the wet) and I was realatively fine, indoor kart race with 8 friends totally informal as could be and my hands are shaking, 80 car field at VIR starting somewhere in the mid teens and I'm asking where we're going to eat, staging for an auto-x run in a freaking parking lot and I have that nervous breathing thing going on. I have no clue what/when/why/how but I have a very sneaking suspiscion that the times I appear most outwardly nervous, I am not and the times that I think all seems cool/calm and collected, I am a bundle of nerves (and just internalizing it - to an extent that I am not consciously aware). What I do know is that I have never driven home from a race weekend without a tension headache so I am sure there's a lot of stuff firing up there and I am just covering it up to myself so I can do what is at hand. Used to think it was the sun and heat but having instructed at a couple of DE's since and left feeling great sure makes that tension thing seem correct. Sure wish I didn't internalize it cause the headaches suck!

Bryan, I think I know the trick to this raining thing in a sedan, snap a cool-suit fitting at the base with it running. Its quite effective if the angle is right (unfortunate that I know this ).
Old 08-13-2003, 12:32 AM
Derrek Khajavi
Racer

Before a qualifying session and a race I get away from the crew, the wife/kids, customers, fellow racers and such and sit down. I close my eyes and drive the track as close to real time as possible (I look really stupid, by the way!). I visualize the start, with cars darting this way and that for position and focus on different 'holes' to find and alternate lines I may have to drive. I think about how the car will feel as the tires start to go away and brakes get hot. I drink a little water and get in the car without talking much and make my way to the grid. I continue to drive the track in my mind and breathe slowly and deeply. As the field is lead out I focus on turn one and not the flag (I have radios for that) and when the green drops I forget everything and drive like there is a dragon on my tail God I love the start of a race!

Quick Reply: Do you still feel nervous before each race?