Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mosport Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003 | 02:29 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Post Mosport Club Race

I'd be interested in a show of hands: who is planning on going to Mosport? The Upper Canada region hasn't published a registrant list, and I've heard that at WG the word was many may forego Mosport in favor of Beaver Creek due to SARS concerns...

Brandon
Old 06-18-2003 | 10:08 AM
GeoffD
Instructor

I'm in.

By the way there is an incredible amount of misinformation in the ol' US about SARS. I guess we have the media to thank as they all love a good story.

The SARS virus has hit a very limited number of hospitals in the central Toronto area. When some people who had been in Asia and contracted the virus actually got sick, they naturally went to the hospital and because of some inital problems with respiratory disease control, some staff and other patients got sick, The first outbreak was controlled and then there was another outbreak at a different hospital becuase a very old gentleman died of the disease and was misdiagnosed.

The point that I am making is that SARS is not effecting the general population. Further, Mosport is 60 miles away from Toronto. I live 60 miles the other side of TO and SARS is not even on the radar screen here. It is a total non issue. There is a SARS benefit concert in TO next week that some Canadian musicians are putting on (Bare Naked Ladies, Diana Krall, Avril Lavigne etc). They have sold out the Skydome and the Air Canada Centre. Nobody is worried about going to the centre of TO to attend. Anybody going to the Club Race isn't going to be close to TO if they don't want to be.

So......Mosport will be a great event. If you don't want to come, we'll miss you but don't stay away because of SARS.

Geoff Davies
Old 06-18-2003 | 11:44 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

I also feel certain SARS concerns are overblown. I am planning to come w/my wife and kids, even rented a motorhome to stay at the track. Also have a cousin coming out from Oregon to co-drive the enduro. So I'm pretty committed, and was sorry to hear others were having second thoughts. I just read that the death toll (don't you love that phrase) of Sars was ~800 against ~8000 cases, so it _is_ high for a virus. But as you indicate it seems to be fairly contained now. Also agree the press (and readers) love an apocalypse story...
Brandon
Old 06-18-2003 | 06:10 PM
GeoffD
Instructor

Brandon,

I think the numbers you quote are world wide. There are presently only 27 either suspected or confirmed cases in TO hospitals and the last death was a week or two ago. Did you know, by the way, that the fatality rate from confirmed flu cases is higher than that for SARS? Both diseases generally prey on the old and those who are already sick. There have been very few younger (i.e. less than 60) and fit people who have died from SARS.

If you are staying at the track, you have no worries at all.

Also, I wish to announce that any Rennlister who visits me in the paddock will be treated to one of Canada's true treasures.......a complimentary (and very large) bottle of Creemore Springs Lager. That alone will make the trip worthwhile. We'll look forward to seeing you at Mosport.

Geoff Davies
I Class #60
Red/Yellow 924S
Old 06-18-2003 | 10:14 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Hi Guys,

I'll be there! I just filled out my application and its in the mail tomorrow. I was there last year but didn't get a chance to run the race due to some issues with my car. That was my first DNS (did not start). Wonderful track with loads of history. Hopefully the weather will be a wee bit less warm this year - 98 degrees in the shade last year!
Old 06-23-2003 | 09:13 AM
GeoffD
Instructor

Ladies and Gents,

Below is the latest Ontario Government Update on SARS. Anyone coming to Mosport may find it interesting.

Location: Ministry of Tourism Home Page > Travelers' Update: SARS

Important information on:
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
What you should know when visiting Ontario.
Ontario continues to be a safe travel destination. While there have been cases of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), the Ontario government is taking responsible steps to ensure public health. There is no evidence to date that the illness spreads through casual contact, or through the air. The risks to travelers of contracting this illness are minimal. Up-to-date information on Ontario SARS is available at:
<a href="http://www.health.gov.on.ca" target="_blank">www.health.gov.on.ca</a>
<a href="http://www.sars.gc.ca" target="_blank">www.sars.gc.ca</a>
What is SARS?
SARS stands for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. It is a severe form of pneumonia, accompanied by a fever. A small number of these affected cases can become severely ill.

What are the symptoms of SARS?
The symptoms of SARS usually begin within 10 days after direct contact with a SARS patient. They include a fever of more than 38 degrees Celsius or 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit and/or any or all of the following:
 Muscle aches and pains
 Severe fatigue
 Severe headache
 Dry cough
 Shortness of breath.
How is SARS transmitted?
It is believed the illness is spread by an infected person coughing or sneezing or from direct face-to-face contact with an ill person.

Are visitors to Ontario at risk?
The cases of SARS in Ontario largely have been the result of contact within two hospitals. SARS is only spread through close, personal contact with someone who has the illness, and not through day-to-day casual contact. The risk to the general population is very, very low. Anyone traveling to Toronto or anywhere in Ontario – either for business or pleasure – should be reassured that it is safe to do so.

The province’s top medical officials have announced that the risk of SARS transmission is extremely low. Extreme precautionary measures have been taken by all health institutions to prevent the spread of SARS to the general public. Health Canada is informing incoming and outgoing travelers at Pearson International Airport of the risk factors associated with SARS.

Is it safe to travel to Ontario?
Ontario continues to be a very safe destination for travelers. Hospitals are open and health care is available in Ontario.

If it’s safe to travel to Ontario, why have some jurisdictions issued travel advisories or warnings against coming to the province?
Ontario continues to be a very safe destination for travelers. The province is taking every precaution to prevent the further spread of SARS. It’s important to note that none of those with the disease contracted it through casual contact.
What sorts of precautions should travelers take to minimize the risks of contracting SARS during a visit to Ontario?
Travelers need not take any extraordinary health precautions while visiting Ontario. Visitors should observe normal good health practices, such as frequent hand washing.
Is it safe to visit tourist attractions or participate in public events (e.g. baseball games) during the SARS emergency in Ontario?
The cases of SARS in Ontario largely have been the result of contact within two hospitals. SARS is only spread through close, personal contact with someone who has the illness, and not through day-to-day casual contact. The risk to the general population is very, very low. Anyone traveling to Toronto or anywhere in Ontario – either for business or pleasure – should be reassured that it is safe to do so.

The province’s top medical officials have announced that the risk of SARS transmission is extremely low. Extreme precautionary measures have been taken by all health institutions to prevent the spread of SARS to the general public. Health Canada is informing incoming and outgoing travelers at Pearson International Airport of the risk factors associated with SARS.

Are tourism industry workers who provide service to members of the traveling public at risk of contracting or transmitting the disease?
SARS is not widespread in the community. The risk to the general population is very, very low. Tourism industry workers are encouraged to observe normal good health practices, such as frequent hand washing.

Is SARS a problem across Ontario?
No, SARS remains isolated in the Greater Toronto Area. To date, no cases have been found outside this region.
Is it advisable to attend or hold conferences, conventions or meetings in Toronto during the SARS emergency?

Are any safety precautions, such as SARS screening, being undertaken at border crossings or other ports-of-entry into Ontario, e.g. Pearson International Airport? Is the screening for inbound or outbound travelers, or both?
Border crossings and airports are the responsibility of the federal government. Information is being supplied to travelers to allow them to determine if they may have any SARS symptoms. If travelers feel they may have been exposed, they should isolate themselves and contact health officials.

Should tourism and hospitality establishments be taking any special precautions to ensure the safety of their patrons during the SARS emergency?
Ontario tourism and hospitality establishments routinely adhere to high standards when it comes to the health and safety of their clientele. No special precautions have been recommended at this time. Staff working with the public should observe normal good health practices, such as frequent hand-washing. Normal procedures should also be followed for housekeeping or maintenance, e.g., cleaning with soap and water.

Is it safe to visit fitness clubs, swimming pools, spas, beaches or other recreational facilities during the SARS emergency?
Ontario’s world-class recreational facilities are perfectly safe and can be enjoyed without taking any special precautions. SARS is not widespread in Ontario. It is not spread through casual contact or through the air. The risk to the public is very, very low.

| home | news | contact us | links | text version
Old 06-23-2003 | 11:06 AM
Brandon Hull
Intermediate

And I guess as of last week the WHO declared the epidemic "under control." Traveller re-assurances notwithstanding, there are some racer spouses who worry that we have a better chance of visiting a hospital (where the risk is greatest) than the average tourist. But that is a thread for another day.

On another note, any resources to help learn the track? I've seen the in car video on the upper CA website; any track videos available anywhere?

B
Old 06-23-2003 | 05:46 PM
GeoffD
Instructor

Brandon,

What class are you running in? I've been running Mosport for ten years and instruct with the UCR region. If you are in my run group (I'm in I class and run with G, H, I, J GT6, GT5 and sometimes F and GT4), I'll be happy to show you the way around. Come see me in the paddock either Thursday evening or Friday morning and I can give you some hints.

If you have to visit a hospital, the local hospital is in Bowmanville, some distance from Toronto, and it has not been affected by SARS.

If you have serious injuries, you are generally airlifted to Sunnybrook hospital which has also not been affected by SARS.

The two hospitals where outbreaks have occurred are Scarborough General and North York General. I am confident that these hospitals will not be recieving track injuries. Anyone injured at Mosport would go to either Bowmanville or Sunnybrook.

GD
Old 06-23-2003 | 06:00 PM
Brandon Hull
Intermediate

Geoff, thanks for the offer. I am in fact in G, so same run group. This is my second club race and my first time at Mosport so I'm grateful for all the de-mystification I can get.

B
Old 06-23-2003 | 06:16 PM
GeoffD
Instructor

Great! We'll see you at the track. I'm #60, Red/Yellow 924S and a black trailer. I have a number of Upper Canada pals who run in G who may be of some help as well. Also, Rick Bye, who is a very accomplished Canuck Porsche Racer, does a track walk on Friday night which is very useful for newcomers to the track.

GD
Old 07-03-2003 | 03:19 PM
Brandon Hull
Intermediate

So I notice WHO has removed Toronto from the SARS watch list...

Quick Reply: Mosport Club Race