PBOC Car Classification Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default PBOC Car Classification Help

Anyone out there with experience or good understanding of how the classification system works in PBOC (www.pbocflorida.com) that could lend me a hand in understanding where my car is classified? I may be thick, but it is confusing...

My car is a 993 C4S with PSS9 suspension w/ RS Sway bars and front tower brace. I am running 8.5" and 11" wide rims (wider than stock)

This is my understanding:
1. My car will start in I class
2. It is not stock, but instead in the Improved class
3. The rims are too wide for improved, so I may just run the stock wheels to stay in the Improved class
4. Does it stop here and is there an actual 'improved' class and if so, what is the car class designation?

If it doesn't stop there, then I would guess it goes like this:
4. The base points for I class are 44
5. This puts me in the middle of V3
6. V3 converts to R6
7. Since 44 is less than the cutoff for R6, then I have additional points to use in performance upgrades until I reach 51

Is this logic correct? If it is then what is the difference in starting points (44) between stock and improved?

Thanks,

-Skip
Old 01-31-2007, 04:29 AM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip - I have been running in the PBOC series now for over three years now with my 996. Although I have not studied the rules to a "T" I can usually guess where a car like yours will be placed with pretty good accuracy.

When I started in 04, my 996 only had PSS9s like yours and I was told that due to my displacement and my suspension mods, I was to be placed in R4 which is where I ended up. Although my displacement is less than yours, my stock HP is greater than yours. But with your RS Sway bars and your wider wheels, I personally think your car will be placed in R4 as well. In the end, you need to talk to Bob Varela to see exactly where you will be placed. I know for sure that you will either be in R4 or R5 but my guess is R4.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:22 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by swftiii
I may be thick, but it is confusing...
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has had trouble with their classification system
Old 01-31-2007, 11:45 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lemming - thanks for confirming that I'm not a total idiot.

BlueMaxx - thanks for your classification. Now can you tell me how you got me from "I" to that with my minor mods and the points system. I'm trying to understand the system so I can make upgrade/go back decisions such as doing a lightweight flywheel and clutch when I do my engine rebuild this fall or if I upgraded my suspension to remote reservoirs or if I went back to stock width wheels or etc.

Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Can I buy your wheels?

Vultures never sleep...
Old 01-31-2007, 01:06 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Skip - give a call down to Bob at Foreign Affairs (954) 746-0488 or shoot him an email at Bobv4n@aol.com. He classifies ALL cars and can tell you what you need to know. MAKE SURE you tell him that Rich Cowell sent you and that you definitely DO NOT want to be put in R4 with me
Old 01-31-2007, 02:25 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rich - I definately want to be put in the slowest group possible with the fewest cars so there is a chance for some points...

Mark - they aren't the right offsets for you and I'm not sure what I'm doing yet.

-Skip
Old 02-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Rich, You and I are on R4 and I DEFINITELY don't want to have my little 2 liter on R4 with you......... Heck, at least its better than before when I was on R3....

Cheers, Juan
Old 02-01-2007, 03:45 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Juan! Thanks for the nice words but I definitely agree with many here that the PBOC classifications are a bit of a mystery. Your car is a perfect example. Although both the driver and car are super fast, based on the other cars in R5 and even R6, that is where I think your car should be classed.

Actually, there IS a way to make sure you are properly classed......next race we are in together, no matter who beats who, I can protest your car and then Bob V MUST look at your car more in depth. I bet you will be bumped to R5, if not R6. Just a though
Old 02-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BluemaxxRacing
no matter who beats who
So you think there is a chance for my skinny tires, small brakes, small displacement, no torque little beast against your proper car......

Looking forward to sharing the track with you but not to competing in the same class. As a point of reference (if you don't mind) what are you times around Sebring? My best is a 2:32 and my car's best is a 2:31 under very highly skilled hands.

Cheers, Juan
Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys,

I spent some time on the phone with Bob today and he is a great guy. He explained some of the theory behind the classification method. It is still a little bit of a black box to find out the classification, but I think I understood it somewhat. I guess I won't know until I get to the track...

-Skip
Old 02-02-2007, 07:47 AM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Juan, at Winterfest I posted a best of 2:28.6 but that time was done in the race. If I had a clear track, I know there are 27s there. I too would love to share the track with you but I just think your car need to be classed properly....in R5! Just for a reference, Alan Alesi is in R5 running 30s around Sebring in his 914/6. Your cars seem to be similar.

Skip - Yes, Bob always says that he MUST see every car before being classed. I am betting on R5 for you as well. Just my prediciton
Old 02-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by swftiii
Guys,

I spent some time on the phone with Bob today and he is a great guy. He explained some of the theory behind the classification method. It is still a little bit of a black box to find out the classification, but I think I understood it somewhat. I guess I won't know until I get to the track...

-Skip
See what a hassle it is to leave the simplicity and comfortability of PCA? Best to stay where you are...

Quick Reply: PBOC Car Classification Help