Sponsored by:

Roll Cages

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 05:00 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Roll Cages

Does anyone have any experience with fitting a bolt in cage such as the safety devices into a 996???
Old 07-08-2002, 10:04 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't say anything about installing one in a 996, but after looking at several roll cages on the market at various DE's, etc. I ended up installing a Safety Devices cage in a 911SC and it wasn't too bad. A little welding was needed to install some of the plates to the door sills and rear fender wells. The hardest part was the fact that the vendor sent some wrong parts that had to be welded on later and some of the bars were the wrong diameter.

In my '87 930, there was already one bolted in and it fits like a glove. And it was a true bolt in setup unlike my SC. Maybe they changed their design as it is much easier to install. I would make sure you get the one with the door bar flanges already welded on, plus the knee bar and harness bars for added stiffness and protection.

Jim
Old 07-09-2002, 01:28 AM
kellyk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know who makes it but there is a bolt-in stainless steel roll bar made that looks incredible. If I had a 996 street car that is what I would install over a Stable Energies or other. I think I saw one advertised in Excellence a few issues ago. If I can find the ad I will post it.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:33 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by kellyk:
<strong>Don't know who makes it but there is a bolt-in stainless steel roll bar made that looks incredible. If I had a 996 street car that is what I would install over a Stable Energies or other. I think I saw one advertised in Excellence a few issues ago. If I can find the ad I will post it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I believe that is a Techart pice, but I am almost positive the tubing is not thick enough to satisfy any club racing rules. What's the point of a roll bar if you cant race with it? If it doesnt provide the most safety available, I don't want it.

<a href="http://www.techart.de/Techart_Katalog%20996_Englisch/Safety_rollcage.htm" target="_blank">Here</a> is the techart roll cage and it looks pretty substantial. Just make sure the tubing is thick enough to pass inspection.

E. J.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:54 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

I saw Bob from Stable Energies at Lime Rock this week and he is going to get me some pics from a recent 996 install. They sell the Safety Devices cages. The cage is about $1100, full bolt in with removable door beams and cross brace. The only downside seems to be the weight as it is a steel cage and not cro-molly alloy.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:16 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by kellyk:
<strong>Don't know who makes it but there is a bolt-in stainless steel roll bar made that looks incredible. If I had a 996 street car that is what I would install over a Stable Energies or other. I think I saw one advertised in Excellence a few issues ago. If I can find the ad I will post it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you're refering to the Porsche Tequipment bar for the GT3. Here's a link

<a href="http://www.porsche.co.uk/models/911teq/sport/sicherheitsbuegel.htm" target="_blank">Tequipment roll bar</a>

It's a complete bolt in with no welding or drilling required. It's not available through most dealers but the aftermarket suppliers can get one for you.

I tried one and spent a week and a busted windshield trying to get it to fit. I never could so I returned it and ended up installing the DAS-Sport bar from Dougherty in Westchester, PA. It was a nice fit and much easier install than the Porsche bar. It doesn't look as nice but it's much more practical IMHO.

Karl
Old 07-17-2002, 12:55 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Unhappy

The tequipment bar is nicely made and cro-molly, but it is only a bar and not a cage and in reality is not that big of an improvement. It will only improve safety in a rollover, not in a front or side impact.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:58 PM
marc 1xx1
Instructor

Ed:

I have a safety devices cage in my RS. Why don't you take a look at it. It fits real nice and tight.

I will be at the next MNY autocross.

See you their?

marc
93 RS America
Old 08-05-2002, 11:25 AM
nate
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a <a href="http://www.das-sport.com/" target="_blank">Dougherty</a> roll bar in my 911 coupe. I am very impressed with the overall fit and finish. Everything lined up perfectly and it hugs the roof line and B pillars perfectly. Mine was $855 shipped with the optional harness guides welded into place. This is a bolt-in bar so there was no additional labour cost to have plates welded in (and I can remove it without affecting the car). I still need to have mine powder coated which should be an additional $85 or so. As an added bonus, everyone at Doughery were great to deal with when purchasing the bar. Let me know if you want pics and I can take some.

Quick Reply: Roll Cages