Sponsored by:

Pirelli to become official Rolex Series tire next year

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts
Default Pirelli to become official Rolex Series tire next year

PIRELLI TO BE OFFICIAL PARTNER OF THE GRAND-AM ROLEX SPORTS CAR SERIES 2008 - 2010

Agreement signed during Pirelli's 100th year in motor racing. All Daytona Prototype and GT cars in the series to race on Pirelli P Zero.

Pirelli Competizioni, which is celebrating its 100th year in top level motor sport during 2007, are pleased to announce the successful conclusion of an agreement with Grand-Am under which the Italian manufacturer will supply its P Zero Racing tires to the teams competing for the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Special Reserve during the three year period from 2008-2010. Both the Daytona Prototype and GT categories of Grand-Am's premier series will be able to take full advantage of Pirelli's technology and know-how in racing.

Director of Pirelli Competizioni Paul Hembery observed: "The importance of this agreement assumes an even greater significance as it has been reached during a year that coincides with a major anniversary for Pirelli - our 100th year in motor racing. During that century of motor sport, Pirelli tires have won throughout the world in events ranging from Formula One and Rallying to Desert Raids and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Victories on American soil are an important feature of that history too".

"To have a partner with the rich history and racing heritage of Pirelli join Grand-Am is a milestone event in our relatively short history," said Grand-Am President Roger Edmondson. "Pirelli is recognized worldwide as a top of the line performance tire and the fact that they now want to further solidify that reputation in the Grand-Am Rolex Series is an extreme honor."

Pirelli's first prestigious victory in the United States was scored 50 years ago, when Juan Manuel Fangio and Jean Behra won the 12 Hours of Sebring in a Maserati 450S on the Milan-made tires. More recently, Pirelli won the 1995 and 1996 IMSA Championships with Ferrari and Oldsmobile-Riley & Scott and in 2000, rather appropriately, the GT 'Triple Crown' (Drivers, Manufacturers, and Team Championships) of the inaugural Grand-Am Rolex Series season with the Saleen-Speedlab Team. Last year, Pirelli won five races in the 2006 American Le Mans Series with the factory Aston Martin DBR9s.

Commenting further on the agreement, Paul Hembery noted "the partnership accord signed with Grand-Am is of considerable importance to Pirelli in the United States. We have carefully examined the evolution of the Grand-Am series and have been very impressed by its rapid growth into one of the leading players on the American racing scene. On that basis we want to offer all our support and technical know-how, work together with all the teams, drivers and organizers, widen the promotional activity, and ensure for everyone a continuing growth and elevated recognition at an international level."
Old 01-28-2007, 03:59 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, they quickly mentioned that while they were showing all the Hoosier people working furiously. They brought 7 semis full of tires this year. WOW
Old 01-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Hoosier remains the tire for GAC...er....Koni Challenge.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Chris L.
Pro

How does everyone see this effecting our ability to get these Pirelli slicks?

Good or bad for us?

Old 01-28-2007, 05:17 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Hey Chris!

Please keep running Pirelli slicks!!!! Please Please Please!

Whatever you do, don't switch to Michelin!

Chris you are leaving 1.5 seconds a lap on the table with the Pirellis.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:07 PM
kary993
Drifting

Out west here getting Pirelli's are a real pain the a$$! Perhaps Pirelli might want to get a distributor on the west coast so we can actually ship them when it is cold outside!

As car as what tire is faster I suppose it depends upon the car setup, driver, and tire in combination....
Old 01-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Hey Chris!

Help me, please. Have we run together? Not that it would matter as I just have a lowly street GT3.

Actually I have only run the Dunlop slicks. I am just starting to test these waters and thought I would give the Pirelli slicks a try so I picked up a set of them from a fellow Rennlister to try.

I understand that Michelin is "da bomb" in slicks just seem so hard to get much less the price. (this is probably why you want me to stick with the Pirellis so there are more Michelins for you, right?)

Last edited by Chris L.; 01-28-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:07 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where is the best place to buy Michelin slicks?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Hey Chris!

It's all about you, isn't it?

Old 01-29-2007, 08:01 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Michelins can only be purchased from a few places. JD Motorsports in Greenville SC is where I buy them.

Not sure though of the application on street cars. If your GT3 is not loghtened, may be too heavy. Also may not be able to attain proper alignment specs.

I am from Charlotte, dont think we have run together.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris (RSR), I ran the Pirelli slicks on my street GT3 for a couple of years and they were decent tires. They lasted fairly long for a race slick, and had a short warm up time. Perfect for DEs. The only problem that I had was when I was running too much rear camber & toe-in. It over-heated the inside edges of the rear tires. Of course if I was racing on slicks, I'd give the same advice as you.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.
Help me, please. Have we run together? Not that it would matter as I just have a lowly street GT3.

Actually I have only run the Dunlop slicks. I am just starting to test these waters and thought I would give the Pirelli slicks a try so I picked up a set of them from a fellow Rennlister to try.

I understand that Michelin is "da bomb" in slicks just seem so hard to get much less the price. (this is probably why you want me to stick with the Pirellis so there are more Michelins for you, right?)

Since there will be thousands of takeoffs for the seaon, sounds like Your tire costs and availability will improve significantly if You handle it right...
Old 01-29-2007, 12:19 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

I agree. I actually ran with USED slicks when I had my 996TT which can be had for $50 - $75 each and last for several heat cycles.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Thanks,

Actually Larry is right. In fact it is based on his advice that I am giving the Pirellis a try for DEs. I loved the Dunlops and I am sure I would love the Michelins the most.

Again, just trying to push the street GT3 and at this time, not racing her so either the Hoosier R6s or the Pirellis for me right now.

Maybe you guys can help with this as I see mostly racers answering this thread:

Just bought a set of triple adjustable Motons rebuilt by Nathan McBride. With Synergy back home from Daytona, will take the car to them this week to be put on.
Nathan recommended NOT going back and forth between tire manufacturer or type so as to make the subtle adjustments needed with the shocks that much easier.

Hoosier R6s or the Pirelli slicks? I want to get as much speed as possible for a "reasonable" price and follow Nathan's advice on sticking with one. Just not very familiar with how many DE heat cycles I might expect from the Pirelli slicks.

Again remember this is DEs as even Nathan said that if I were racing he would recommend Michelins and NO others.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I guess this means I'll be able to stock up on discontinued Hoosiers again when the season is over

Quick Reply: Pirelli to become official Rolex Series tire next year