Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever had a leaky Fuel Safe fuel cell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 09:50 PM
wannabefaster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ever had a leaky Fuel Safe fuel cell?

The reason i ask is that i recently purchased a Fuel Safe fuel cell for my 951 and it doesn't just weep a few drops, the fuel literally pours out. I can't begin to imagine how it could have possibly have passed a leak test at the factory.

I had heard of one other incident last year involving a leaky Fuel Safe fuel cell in a 911. It took Fuel Safe 3 trys to get a cell that wouldn't leak and supposedly the President personally tested the last one. I figured OK, every manufacturer has had a product problem and at least these guys stuck to it and backed up the product. I specifically inquired before purchasing this one about whether or not they had had any problems with the 944/951 cell and of course the answer was no. I also did a web search and the only incident i uncovered was the one i mentioned above. So i figured i was "safe".

Let me also metinon that the installation was a bitch, since the cell is about 1/2" bigger than it should be in both fore/aft and lateral dimensions. This caused me to have to switch to hard mounts for the cross tube. I had to notch the lip of the tank in 4 places so it wouldn't interfere with wiring. The AN fittings were the incorrect angle (straight instead of 90 degrees)
The only positive thing i can say was that the dealer, Worldwide Motorsports, has tried their best to make up for the very poor quality of this cell.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:22 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts
Very interesting. I looking for a cell now. What other manufacturers are my option? Maybe you should show my post to Fuel Safe and let them know that many people read these posts on the web.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:18 PM
wannabefaster
Intermediate

I'm not sure there are any other options if you run in stock like i do. I beleive Koklen makes one but it requires removal of the spare tire well and it modifies the underbody aero characteristics by acting as a diffuser
Old 04-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
There are three leading fuel cell manufacturers - Fuel Safe, ATL and Premier. As with anything made by humans, every once in a while, a particular unit can have a problem. I know of no manufacturer with respect to which there has never been an issue. Having said this, all three are capable of making excellent products -- and I could point to professional race teams who would swear by (not at) each of these three. By the way, although my memory might be faulty, I seem to remember that Kokeln uses Fuel Safe products.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:39 PM
wannabefaster
Intermediate

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> As with anything made by humans, every once in a while, a particular unit can have a problem. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">i guess i am venting a bit...but i've been involved in manufacturing operations for a long time and this appears to be a case of incredibly poor quality procedures. This isn't a minor defect. The basic function of the product is to NOT leak...and it does.... profusely.

We'll see what happens when i contact them.Its pretty clear i'm going to have to swap the stock tank back in the car in order to have a prayer of being ready and sorted for the Lime Rock Club Race.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:30 PM
freddyfastboy
1st Gear

I have just purchased and installed two of these fuel safe cells. One has the exact same issue, tons of fuel leaks out! the other has a mild trickle. Seems like poor quality control. Another big issue on one of the cells is that they are advertised to fit all 944/951 models. This is not the case, one of my cells was mounted in an early 944- the entire rear deck had to be cut from the car and a new bulkhead/firewall built to accomodate the cell. It only fits in the later model cars.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:18 PM
Chris Cervelli
Instructor

I too got a leaky cell. Mine was in a 993. They acted like they were doing me a favor when they fixed it at no charge.

Since then I have generously decided to do free quality control for all my vendors.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts
A friend is currently has just purchased a Kokeln cell for his 944 turbo. Probably won't install it until after the MidOhio club race. If there are any issues I'll post about them.

Alan C.

Quick Reply: Ever had a leaky Fuel Safe fuel cell?