Sponsored by:

Opinions on Porterfield Pads??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 09:31 AM
930 Turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Opinions on Porterfield Pads??

I have just been speaking to the owner of the fastest modified car in Europe: a 650bhp 930 (lightweight), with a 935 Le Mans spec engine that was recorded at 243mph. I was very surprised to hear that he is running OE callipers and rotors. The only mod to the brakes are Porterfield carbon/kevlar pads, braided hoses and racing fluid. He said that this set up is unbeatable, and he always outbreaks his friend's 930,which has Big Reds. Apparently, the only downside to the pads are that they are very noisy however they are rotor friendly.
Does anyone have any experience of Porterfield pads or this set up?
Old 01-15-2002, 12:19 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

I ran them once on my '98 Carrera 4S (big reds). They only stop a few percent better than the stock pads, but they don't fade. I never have a problem with the stock pads fading, I usually overheat the tires before the brakes. They are SUPER-NOISY. You absolutely can't run them on the street. I run Supercup exhaust on my car (on the street), and it's really loud, but the Porterfields are WAY louder than that.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:40 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

I agree - I ran the R4's (full race compound) on my 914 and they rock for track use. Zero fade, great feel (even not bad when cold), minimal dust and minimal rotor wear.

But them suckers were LOOUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDD.

Sometimes they even made noise just from the normal feather-light pad drag that occurs even when not braking...

I'd use them again in a heartbeat, but only on a dedicated track car (or if I were swapping pads out for the track.)
Old 02-05-2002, 10:31 AM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

I use the race pads on my car on the track, and they don't make a sound. I don't know what I did right, I put them on a customer's Audi A4, and it was so incredibly loud that she couldn't drive the car on the street because you could literally hear her coming for 1/2 a mile.
The street carbon pads are alot quieter.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:38 AM
DERSIX
Advanced

The R4s are great for track..no warm up and instant stopping power without fad. The noise level depends on the rotor/ pad combination..some arenoisy during the last 5MPH before the stop sign some a relatively quiet. All non asbestos pads(law in US since 1990) will squeal. Sometimes if you camper(file) the leading edge this will help the "finger nail on the blackboard " sound. What happens under moderate braking is that the pad "*****" slightly causing tha "blackboard" squeal effect. If you need more info I have selling these pads under the name of "Kool Kevlar" for eight years(888.881.7049). All of the carbon kevlar pads are made by Kerr Friction in Younstown, Ohio
Pete
Old 02-15-2002, 11:03 PM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

I did find that if I chamfered/beveled the pad edges, used anti-squeal stuff on the back plates, and cleaned everything really well, it helped greatly reduce the noise.

For about 2-3 days

Quick Reply: Opinions on Porterfield Pads??