Bieffe helmet input needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 12:06 AM
SuperCarrera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bieffe helmet input needed

Hey all -- I'm brand new to RennList.

I'm about to buy my first helmet and could really use some feedback regarding two Bieffe styles I'm considering (the Integral GT and the Predator).

I would greatly appreciate anyone "out there" with personal experience with either of these giving me some input. I'm "locked" into just Bieffe as this was a Christmas gift that I am upgrading (I received an "M" rated helmet) and the dealer where it was purchased only carries Bieffe automotive helmets.

As an "FYI", I am starting in closed roof racing only in my Carrera (autocross, DE, and then possibly SCCA/Club Racing), live in the south central Florida area (heat/humidity), and would like to possibly get into go-kart racing at some point in the future (are goggles even an option with the Integral or should I just plan to get a full closed face helemt if/when I get serious about carts?). My main concern/priority is having as cool/comfortable a helmet as possible while covering the needed safety/drivability issues.

Thanks...

PS -- I also posted this exact message on the "Upgrades/Modifications" Forum as well -- is that an OK protocol for RennList?
Old 01-10-2002, 09:44 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Tim,

Get a full faced helmet. Even if you were only racing your car I would get a full helmet. The visor actually aids in fire proofing and whats the point of a nomex liner (vs. M rating) if your face is going to burn. Also protect your face from impacts - should be obvious. Now when you say you are going to add a little karting into the mix, you could wear goggles and look like the old barnstormers and maybe wear a scarf. Definately get a closed helmet.

Can't help with your specific model questions though as I have always used Bell helmets. If you're worried about heat, get a helmet with a hose attachment so you can get a cold air blower system, otherwise don't worry about the heat. Unless you are racing the 24 hour races, I don't see a worry about heat in SCCA PCA racing. You are going to be hot no matter what.

<STRONG>My main concern/priority is having as cool/comfortable a helmet as possible while covering the needed safety/drivability issues.</STRONG>
For me, my main concern is always safety and then cool/comfortable.

Just my $.02 though.

E. J.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:31 AM
James Achard
Pro

SCarrera, I have a Bieffe helmet and am happy with it. Mind you, if you are used to motorcycle helmets you will find that car helmets in comprable price ranges lack the quality of there motorcycle counterparts. For instance, I ride with an Arai helmet on the bike but the equivalent car helmet costs 400.00$ more That said, I found the Bieffe to fit my head the best. I don't remember which model I have but it sold for around 400.00. As far as full vs. 3/4, get the full face, I had an accident once where when I arrived at the hospital, the Doctor said if I had not had a full face helmet on, I would have been eating out of a straw for the rest of my life...

James
Old 01-10-2002, 01:04 PM
SuperCarrera
Advanced

E.J. and James -- thanks so much for your input. I am, as well, very concerned about the possibility of a facial impact/injury (Dale Earnhardt was my FAVORITE driver).

Both of these helmets have the full face protection but the Integral GT has the chin bar area extended out away from the face a little and does not have a face shield (it has a tinted visor at the top). E.J. -- your point about the SA-rating without a face shield is a significant (and yes, should be obvious) issue of concern in case of fire.

In case you're not familiar with the Bieffe Integral GT, it is very similar to the Bell SR-Pro and Simpson LX-plus models (I've been told that this style helmet is popular with Rally series drivers).
Old 01-10-2002, 02:41 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Rally drivers actually use a very specialized helmet that is open faced (why?) and has built in ear cups for the intercom system. Picture the good ear phones (like what a pilot uses) that covers the whole ear with a rubber material. This is actually an integral part of the inside of the helmet. I know the helmet you are talking about:

and I ask again about the safety of that.

Here is the rally helmet:

Here is the Bieffe Integral GT:

And here is the Predator:

Now that I have seen the Bieffe product line (here) I think you should go with the Predator, the F1 or the F1GP (might be cool to have Eddie Irvine's Ferrari helmet). I really think it is better to worry about the safety of the full face with shield.

Maybe others can chime in too.

E. J.

Quick Reply: Bieffe helmet input needed