Sponsored by:

Reflections on Winterfest...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:04 AM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflections on Winterfest...

I would love to hear about everyone else's experiences this past weekend at Winterfest so START POSTING!!

My weekend could not have gone any better. I parked my car with the Foreign Affairs camp as usual. Although I was only racing on Satruday and Sunday, the organizers let me run on Friday with the Instructor's group so that I could bed in my new Hawk HT-10 brake pads. I drove in two sessions and there was not much "rust-removal" probably since I have been driving that track since 1991. Coming onto the weekend, my previous best lap time around Sebring was a 2:30.116 done in 2003 with my old suspension. Since I have added a full GT3 race suspension and coil-overs, as well as taken out 150 lbs, I was hoping to breeak into the 2:29s.

Saturday started off with a practice session in the morning. Right out of the box, I was able to break my record by posting a fast lap of 2:29.699. This made me the 8th fastest overall in Group 2.

Next was the Qualifying session and for some reason, I put more pressure on myself here that in any of the actual races. I guess it is because I knew my car had a 2:28 in it somewhere IF I could manage a clean lap? I lined up in the back of the session with alot of slower cars ahead of me. I figured that I could pass them all and get a clean lap later in the session but I was wrong. I ended up driving in traffic the entire time and ended the Qualifying session with a dismal 2:30.920 which put me 8th overall and 4th in Class on the grid.

Saturday's Sprint race went very well for me. I got a good start and my main competitors battled it out together behind me which made them slower because they have to drive in their mirrors more. I was able distance myself from my main competitors behind me but the first 5 cars were just too fast. I ended the session 6th overall and 3rd in Class but the best part of my race was my fastest lap time.....2:28.779!!!

Sunday morning's Practice session was spent helping another R4 competitor with his line through Turn 17. He is a good friend and although we are in the same class, this is what true friends do for eachother. My fastest lap was only a 2:35.223 but I didn't care because I was able to make my buddy alot faster through turns 10, 13, 15 and the dreaded 17.

Sunday's Sprint Race went well for me too! The qualifying for this race was the previous day's race results, which meant that I was going to be starting 6th on the grid and 3rd in Class. After a fierce battle with a Thunder Roadster for the first half of the race, I was able to lose him when we started to lap traffic. I finished 4th Overall and 2nd in Class but once again, the best part of my race was my best lap time.....2:28.692!!! . Given the fact that there were two Wold Challenge BMWs who were mis-classed in R4 (they should be in the R3 class), I am very happy with our results.

Bluemaxx Racing would like to thank the following organizations for helping us acheive our goals:

Foreign Affairs, Autohaus, CDOC, PBMC, Bob Woodman Tires and of course, PBOC for putting on a fantasic event as always!

Next up....PCA Club Race at Sebring in Feb......can't wait

Rich
www.BluemaxxRacing.com

Last edited by BluemaxxRacing; 01-22-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's awesome Mitch, great to hear!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:11 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rich, congrats on a great weekend!!! You looked great out there and it was nice seeing you and your lovely wife and baby!!

See ya at the 48 hours!!

tom
Old 01-22-2007, 07:00 PM
gt3cup98
Racer

Rich:
Great seeing you and family!! Sorry I missed your race. I know form expierance that you are good at the start. Great lap times, sounds like you are getting all out of your car. By the way it looks great. See you at the 48 hours.
Boyd
Old 01-22-2007, 10:15 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Thanks guys! Either of your guys going to the 48 hours?

Rich (not Mitch)
www.BluemaxxRacing.com
Old 01-23-2007, 08:23 AM
agio
Racer

The weather, cars, and drivers made Winterfest the great event it has become. For me, it was particularly great seeing and runnig with old driving buddies from up north whom I haven't seen in years. I posted some thoughts about SuperSolo (which took place on Thursday and Friday only) on another (new) threat.
Next stop = 48 hours!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:15 AM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Does anyone have cup time sheets from the race or qualy

Quick Reply: Reflections on Winterfest...