Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Group help on 993 Rollcage/Bar Choices...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 01:38 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Thumbs up Need Group help on 993 Rollcage/Bar Choices...

Can anyone give me input on which cage/bar would allow me the most continued access to the back seats. Perhaps a cage with a removable harness bar? I would prefer a cage vs a bar but would look at all options. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-22-2001, 02:23 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
I can't imagine how you would get back seat access without compromising the bar/cage. That being said, it looks like the below company offers what you are looking for. Check it out.
www.fvd-usa.com
Old 12-22-2001, 02:43 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Roll Cages

Try this.
Old 12-25-2001, 10:57 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Safety Devices roll cage that has welded in plates (that can be bolted in) with bolt on door, knee, harness and diaonal bars. The rear diagonal and harness bar are removable. I suppose you could remove those two and use the space but, I've never tried. It does provide protection but, nothing like a fully welded in custom cage can provide.

If you want the most protection, get a custom made cage from someone who knows what they are doing or a Porsche quality cage, i.e. Matter, FVD, etc. If you want something you might remove one day, try the Safety Devices cage. I looked at a lot of cages before I bought it and it was the best of the safety/minmal interior damage compromise I found.

Another thought is what are you going to be doing with it? Racing? DE's? Buying a cage is like buying the cheapest helmet you can find that meets helmet specs. What's your head worth for a cheap helmet and what is your life worth for your cheap roll bar or cage?

Regards,
Jim
Old 12-27-2001, 02:51 AM
JOESELLSVW
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To start off with I have to be upfront about the fact that my opinion IS BIASED. I work for Dougherty Automotive which produces the DAS SportSystem roll bar/cage. I have one in my 87 911. I bought it BEFORE I started working there. I installed the bar myself. You can see the bars at www.das-sport.com or in the Performance Products catalog. The DAS bars can be installed in a very short period of time with basic tools in most cases. They fit very well and most models require NO modification to the car. (You will probably drill holes for the harness anchors, but they are very eary to conceal and dont have to destroy carpet or interior trim. The bars are designed and fabricated in house by ex Penske racing crew and fabricators. The welds are clean and even. Guide loops can be installed on the bars in different locations, depending on the seats in your car. Please don't hesitat to call if you have any questions about the bars. Ask for Bill Dougherty or Ryan Diehl. By the way, I work in the used car side of the business. I don't recieve any compensation for any sales that may result from my recomendations, just a happy customer/ employee that takes pride in a well built, well designed piece. there are several hundred of these bars in use around the country, ebery so often one pops up for sale used and we're always proud to see how quickly the re sell. Joe McCormick
Old 12-27-2001, 08:21 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glen -

For what it's worth, the DAS bar is very nice - I was going to go that route for my 993.

My 993 is now at OG Racing serving as the test bed for their soon to be released 993 bar and cage. They are using my car to fab. the prototype and then will be selling them shortly. YOu can get a bar or a full cage - both are bolt in and out like the DAS bar. I am not sure where the DAS bar mounts, but the OG bar will mount to a plate that is welded to the chassis - far better protection then the seat belt anchors etc that some bars mount to. Of course with the bar or cage removed - the carpet will fit back in place and the car will look completely normal. No cutting etc will be required. When I get the car back, I can post some pics if you want.

As far as the removable cross bar, I am pretty sure the OG bar will not have this feature - by making it removable you greatly weaken the overall structure and what's the point in having a bar or cage then?

Good luck,

E. J.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:46 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Great info guys! I agree that there is a compromise. My racecar is fully tubed front bumper to rear bumper. My C4S...how can I justify 2 racecars...lol I use it to instruct, drive to work etc... and still would like to put a little guy in the back occasionally. Oh well, it appears I may really need a backup racecar after all...LOL

Quick Reply: Need Group help on 993 Rollcage/Bar Choices...