Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm....

Talk about a maintenance item.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:34 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to remember that Smart Racing Products sells sets if you are not the find and fit type.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:08 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

C'mon Mark -- you need a few sets of pogo-sticks to test
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2007, 11:11 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
More than once, we would dump the airjacks and send the car only to have him return with strange feelings and low and behold, we would sometimes find one of these races jammed where it shouldnt be. This was since we never preloaded springs.

If you do preload your springs, no worries mate
No preload on my springs, so I have to be careful about that.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Ohlins....ooooohhhh baby.....

Had a friend who was incorporating one of those hydraulic weight-jackers/spring perches into his rear suspension, and that was my first exposure to 'bearings in the perches' to relieve binding side lobes. Got exposed to the math and dynamics involved...was really surprised abotu how much loading transfers to the shocks from the binding and stress of the springs. Something must have sunk in, as I now have spherical bearings/swivel spring perches in the 40+ yr. old Red Sled. Yeah...more maintenance...but it's a fargin race car...you HAVE to work on it anyway.

Got to experience Ohlins forks and rear shock on a bike a few years ago...I knew the 'before'...and couldn't believe the 'after', especially after diddling for my ample ****. Haven't tried them in a 4-wheel thingy yet. I understand that Chris at the Shock Shop out west has gone to 'part-time' in the shock business...other businesses called. He was the only Ohlins guy I knew of. About to pull the pin on another Penske bomb, so Mr. Stimola will be blowing a big smokin hole in my wallet soon.

I need a cheaper recreation.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:49 AM
purplehaze.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark -

Beautiful new toys!

Would helper springs do the trick of keeping the bearings seated?

I just got SRP's Fox Shox and thought I'd transfer my previous helper springs over. Now you've got me thinking about also getting these slick little bearings. It never ends does it!?!?

Glenn
Old 01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Geo
Race Director

Herr Professor, Roehrig Engineering (or rahter their damper business) in NC deals in Ohlins.

Another upstater, Scott Treichler (recognize that name?) works there.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:58 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Watch out for helper springs:
My doors can open just barely scraping the top of my trailer fenders. One day I had more clearance than usual on the driver's side. I jacked up the frint of my car to find that the helper spring had actually twisted into the coil of my hyperco spring and raised the rideheight on that corner! Now that will mess with your car balance. Has this happended to anyone and what do you do to prevent it?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:18 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

and for very similar reasons to using pivot perches, Tilton's way cool pivot mount master cylinders
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2007, 07:53 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
and for very similar reasons to using pivot perches, Tilton's way cool pivot mount master cylinders
Very slick. I have seen some crazy designs to eliminate bending, but I really like those.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:57 PM
jrok
Racer

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
No preload on my springs, so I have to be careful about that.
Sometimes they even go back where they belong...

My best friend races two Stohr's in NASA and the two of us are the pit crew. We swapped 2 engines last year, what a pain in the ****. We can change a clutch in under an hour now though at the track. We just pulled one engine back out last weekend for a rebuild and HP upgrade. I will pass on your suspension trick to him tonight (that's right, another friday night working on the race car, woo-hoo [there will be cold beers involved]).

Do you happen have the McMaster part number? Searching through there can sometimes be a bit daunting.

You can barely see the new livery on the number 333 car next to the trailer in my signature photo over my hood.

Also, we've re-engineed quite a few things over the last year but would like to talk to you about some things you've probably done if you don't mind.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrok
...My best friend races two Stohr's in NASA and the two of us are the pit crew...
Jeremy Miller, right?

Greg A
Old 01-19-2007, 10:14 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrok
Sometimes they even go back where they belong...

My best friend races two Stohr's in NASA and the two of us are the pit crew. We swapped 2 engines last year, what a pain in the ****. We can change a clutch in under an hour now though at the track. We just pulled one engine back out last weekend for a rebuild and HP upgrade. I will pass on your suspension trick to him tonight (that's right, another friday night working on the race car, woo-hoo [there will be cold beers involved]).

Do you happen have the McMaster part number? Searching through there can sometimes be a bit daunting.

You can barely see the new livery on the number 333 car next to the trailer in my signature photo over my hood.

Also, we've re-engineed quite a few things over the last year but would like to talk to you about some things you've probably done if you don't mind.

Very cool. Engine swaps are not that tough after you do it a couple of times (until you add the tunnels, then it is a bear). I strongly suggest a hoist. While you can roll it out, the hoist makes it much easier. I can do it all by myself. Major trick on install is to first do the bolts that go through the floor and the angle just behind the engine. You really need an air ratchet for the 4 bolts from the bottom.

McMaster does NOT have a torrington that will work on this car. Mine came from a transmission. (I happen to have a transmission repair shop.) Call me next week at the shop (816) 554-9522 and I will be able to tell you exactly which transmission and which part.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:08 PM
jrok
Racer

Originally Posted by Greg A
Jeremy Miller, right?
You are correct sir, the one and only.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Peter Bull
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amondc
Can you get just the bearings? If so where would one get them?
Any decent hardware store selling SKF bearings. Available sizes and types kan be found in SKF's product catalogue under roller thrust bearings. Other bearing manufacturers like ***-INA and Timken certainly have such bearings too.

/Peter

Quick Reply: Suspension Trick