Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to move to Club Racing( longish)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 06:51 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Good luck James......2 pieces of advice. Take as many Proracing courses & lapping days as you can afford and "gulp" sell the 1987 911 and get a 1990-1992 C2 coupe as you will be much more competative in F stock......the class you will be racing within. Do this before you invest a ton of money & time in the 1987. I tell you this as........assuming you like it and want to run up front.......sooner or later you'll need a C2 to run up front in that class. A 1990-1994 C2 964 offers a better racecar platform for F stock. Good luck and early build C2s and 1989 3.2s are priced about the same. I am picking one up to race for when I convert my 993RS to a RUF BTR for the blazin' fast streetcar. Hopefully, I can catch Herr O. Zitzmann as he has alot of Fabspeed Motorsport parts on his stock C2 racecar thats smoking the east coast tracks.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 12-13-2001, 10:48 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 139 Posts
I'll have to second that emotion regarding the 964s. They are a dynamite F car. If my dad keeps offering to let me race his, I may take him up on it. However, since I plan on buying it from him whenever he decides to replace it, I am reluctant to race it because it is so clean. Keep in mind though that the 964s may get bumped to E in the future. The rules committee rejected that proposal for 2002, but it may come up again next year for 2003.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:15 AM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All, I would love to get a C2 but just don't have the funds. Plus, my '87 is really sweet and I got it with all the mods. done already( SPG seats, updated torsion bars, Fikse 17" wheels B&B headers=exhaust etc. etc.) Plus the guy who did it bought nothing but the best. The engine has 56K on it and does not burn any oil. So, with the C2 out of the picture, what else can I do to get the car more competetive?? The last thing left that I can see is a nice set of Charlie bars or TRG Sway Bars. Anyone have any preferences??

James
Old 12-18-2001, 01:55 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
James,

F is one of the most competitive PCA Racing classes with some of the best driving talent. Go to the PCA club racing website (http://www.pca.org/pca/clubrace/) and take a look at the past results pages for F class. Keep in mind qualifying times are even better. Amazing? Yes.

Before you get too concerned about the car prep see how you are driving. Do your laptimes currently get you in the ballpark of the other F drivers? If you are just starting out you are probably way off these laptimes. So think about improving your driving first and foremost. To get fast laptimes like these you are going to have to be quite a good 911 driver - sliding the car around the turns.

If you are already in this league of driving then you should visit and clubrace and take a look at the "hot" setup of some of the F cars. The fast ones are usually prepared quite similarly. Yours sounds like it is pretty close to being there. By my recollection the hot F cars that are 3.2 Carrera are running aggressively lowered suspension with very stiff torsion bars, stock brakes of course, specially valved shocks, competition alignment, 18" Fikse wheels, Hoosiers (245F/275R), F/R spoilers (not wings), full safety equipment, performance exhaust.

With regard to the rules, F is a stock class as you know and the car must be stock in spirit which means generally you cannot gut it out to lighten it. You absolutely must make the minimum weight at the end of the race or you will be disqualified. As for specific mods to the car please ask the group or better yet send an email to PCA rules committee.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:54 PM
UrbanSasquatch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I concur with the above. I've been studying the club race rule book and checking out cars in F-Stock at club races, and most people are running huge torsion bars to stiffen the suspension, adjustable sway bars, lowering the cars significantly, fiberglass or carbon front spoilers and rear bumpers, plexiglass windows, 245-series Hoosiers up front and 275-series in the rear on 17" Fikse FM10s (you can just about slide a credit card between the tire and the fender lip) with full cages and racing headers. Rather than cut up my '88 Carrera and spend minimum $15k for the above I chose to buy an existing race car, and there are a few great, well-sorted "F" cars on the Rennlist Classifieds in the $35k range. Also, I saw that the PCA has NOT reclassified the 964 into E-stock, which was one of the proposed rule changes. Therefore, the 964's are the cars to beat-- even though they weigh more, they have a coil-spring suspension which is MUCH more easily adjusted (for corner balancing) than the torsion bar setup, and that twin plug 3.6 has mucho torque, which would be hard to beat. Check out Oliver Zitzmann's times, he's a great driver who runs a 964. The good news is that 964s are coming down in price.

Best of luck, see you at the track-- I'll be the one with the Rookie "X" (in H-Stock!)

jCf

Quick Reply: Looking to move to Club Racing( longish)