Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"BMW gets slapped" ALMS GT rule changes

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 03:28 PM
RealRideRacing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's interersting to note that even within the BMW ranks, there are secrets. For example a friend of mine (name witheld for obvious reasons) drives for the PTG ALMS team. He claims that they (the PTG Team) don't have any idea what's inside those V8 Schnitzer engines. There's just a row of warning lights on the dash for Shift, Overheat, etc. A BMW engineer starts up the car and warms it up, he climbs in and drives it. Kind of like in F1 where the team mechanics call the engine a "Lump" or "Transmission Spacer". He also claims that the Schnitzer team cars have a bit more power than theirs. Compare that to the Porsche teams where engines are being built by a number of privateers.

As far as the Skyline in World Challenge goes, I can't imagine it'll run in Touring Car. If it's a GTR, the car should run in GT. And stock GTR's only put out 280hp. Of course, a simple change of the wastegate and turbo can easily churn out a couple hundred more hp. But then again, I wonder how they allow Peter Cunningham's Supercharged NSX in there. Who fell asleep when they petitioned that car?

Regards,
David
PENNYWEB/REALRIDE.COM RACING http://www.RealRide.com
Old 12-16-2001, 01:24 PM
Doc
Racer

After doing a little more research, you're right about the HP numbers in the Skyline. I would suppose they would restrict the amount of boost and keep the HP in a "reasonable" range. (Like they eventually did to Cunningham) ...But didn't he have a great ride for the first few races last year. Oh well Pete, all good things must come to an end.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:44 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts
The M3 GTRs are a lot more powerful than those GT3Rs yet i don't get how they can be in the same class.... its like they want Porsche to stop winning
Old 01-16-2002, 12:25 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the engines were sealed, by rule.

Originally posted by RealRideRacing:
<STRONG>It's interersting to note that even within the BMW ranks, there are secrets. For example a friend of mine (name witheld for obvious reasons) drives for the PTG ALMS team. He claims that they (the PTG Team) don't have any idea what's inside those V8 Schnitzer engines. There's just a row of warning lights on the dash for Shift, Overheat, etc. A BMW engineer starts up the car and warms it up, he climbs in and drives it. Kind of like in F1 where the team mechanics call the engine a "Lump" or "Transmission Spacer". He also claims that the Schnitzer team cars have a bit more power than theirs. Compare that to the Porsche teams where engines are being built by a number of privateers.
</STRONG>
Old 01-17-2002, 10:21 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

In the end it is all about business politics, not racing. What any series wants is manufacturer participation, not a bunch of privateers in look alike 911's. They let BMW in with a ringer to test Porsche's resolve, which most definitely was missing in action, and then abruptly decided they didn't want BMW cherry-picking their series while all the Porsches headed to a competing series.

Quick Reply: "BMW gets slapped" ALMS GT rule changes