Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Will An ATB (Torsen) Diff Affect My 996 C2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 11:56 PM
hubec
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Will An ATB (Torsen) Diff Affect My 996 C2?

Hi All,

I'm planning on installing an ATB differential in my '01 996 C2, which does not have PSM. Will I get more or less understeer under acceleration? What about deceleration? I use the car daily and on the track (at PDE events). I'll also be driving it in the snow and ice this winter.

Is the GT ATB diff a good buy? Is GT a good company? Do they make good product?

How will all of this affect my tranny warranty?

Is this a difficult install? i.e. can I trust my local german/sport mechanic to do it properly?

Thanks all,
Old 12-07-2001, 04:15 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by hubec:
<STRONG>Hi All,

I'm planning on installing an ATB differential in my '01 996 C2, which does not have PSM. Will I get more or less understeer under acceleration? What about deceleration? I use the car daily and on the track (at PDE events). I'll also be driving it in the snow and ice this winter.

Is the GT ATB diff a good buy? Is GT a good company? Do they make good product?

How will all of this affect my tranny warranty?

Is this a difficult install? i.e. can I trust my local german/sport mechanic to do it properly?

Thanks all,</STRONG>
Hubec:

I'll try to address your questions,.....

1) The ATB, Torque sensing differential will have a very minimal impact on corner entry understeer. Its rather subtle. Deacceleration will not change,......a ZF-type, clutch pack differential will stabilize the car much better on braking and corner entry; this is one reason why the Factory uses these types in their race cars.

Rain and snow traction is improved.

2) The GT Racing ATB units are very well done and IMHO, top-rated. Guard Transmission is our only source for these kinds of things. 24 kt gold outfit.

3) This should have no impact on your warranty as GT components are better than the Factory stuff.

4) Its hard to cannot vouch for the competance & experience of your mechanic. This however, is no job for a rookie with Porsche gearboxes and he should have an excellent supply of shims for setting the backlash and pinion depth correctly. This does take the proper tools, parts and lots of experience to do this properly to get the proper life from the R&P.

Quick Reply: How Will An ATB (Torsen) Diff Affect My 996 C2?