Sponsored by:

steel vs aluminum open trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Richard S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

kgorman, FYI, there is a Featherlite aluminum trailer listed for sale in the Sacramento Bee classifieds...

CAR TRAILER 17" Aluminum Featherlite 2003, cost now $7200 with adds. Sacrifice $4,900. HD hitch, great protected hauling for show cars. 530-637-4563, dlm433@ inreach.com

You can go on-line to see a small picture of it, has a front rock/wind deflector. Other than that, I know nothing, no affiliation, etc, just giving a heads-up if it helps you.

Rich
Old 01-17-2007, 06:35 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
I also don't buy the fuel economy case for Aluminum. The trailer is what, 10% lighter? What does that really translate to in terms of fuel costs? I don't need to do the math to know it's not enough to make Aluminum convincing. Perhaps someone can prove me wrong.

Good discussion everyone. Sounds like the steel camp is making good sense. Anyone got a more convincing case for aluminum?
After having a 17' steel trailer with a steel deck and now having a 17' aluminum one (Trailer World), there's just no way I'd go back to steel. There are two main issues. First, weight.....it varies trailer to trailer, but it's usually a LOT more than 10% lighter. My steel trailer came in at 2,250lbs, my aluminum one is 1,200lbs.....the trailex ones are even lighter. I've seen steel ones advertised at under 2,000lbs, but put most of them on the scales and they'll say different. During the tow that weight difference is substantial. My tow vehicle is a Porsche, so because I use an SUV with a tow rating of only 7,800lbs weight is more important to me that you guys with diesel pick-ups, but you'll notice 1,000lbs even with a pick-up.

Second is resale....both pure $$ and time. I bought my aluminum one used for $3,000 several years ago and I could get $3,500 for it tomorrow....it seems like I get one unsolicted offer for it nearly every track event I attend. I also bought the steel one used. I only lost about $400 on the buy/sell but it was a lot harder to move.....took a good 6 weeks to get someone to take it. So, even saying both held their value equally, the ease at which the aluminum one could be sold is worth something to me.

As always, YMMV.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen aluminum trailers with an advertised weight more then some steel ones. I guess it all depends on the trailer. Trailex for sure is the lightest, but the steel Econo trailer weighs only 1350 lbs, and it has an open deck so you can work underneath it. That’s what I’m going with.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:04 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wormhole
I've seen aluminum trailers with an advertised weight more then some steel ones. I guess it all depends on the trailer. Trailex for sure is the lightest, but the steel Econo trailer weighs only 1350 lbs, and it has an open deck so you can work underneath it. That’s what I’m going with.

hmm...open deck so you can work under the car without using dangerous jackstands or lift. good idea! i think i'm gonna look into open deck trailers now. seriously, i never thought of that
Old 01-17-2007, 09:22 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

It's sold FYI.

Originally Posted by Richard S
kgorman, FYI, there is a Featherlite aluminum trailer listed for sale in the Sacramento Bee classifieds...

CAR TRAILER 17" Aluminum Featherlite 2003, cost now $7200 with adds. Sacrifice $4,900. HD hitch, great protected hauling for show cars. 530-637-4563, dlm433@ inreach.com

You can go on-line to see a small picture of it, has a front rock/wind deflector. Other than that, I know nothing, no affiliation, etc, just giving a heads-up if it helps you.

Rich
Old 01-17-2007, 11:04 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Why buy open at all, the price of a good open trailer in alloy , is the same or close to a good enclosed steel trailer, which protects your car , store tools ,tires etc, makes for a good second garage ...
Old 01-17-2007, 11:08 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Why buy open at all, the price of a good open trailer in alloy , is the same or close to a good enclosed steel trailer, which protects your car , store tools ,tires etc, makes for a good second garage ...
Amen, although some would have trouble towing an enclosed with the lighter tow vehicles. I'm hoping to sell my open trailer this Spring and move to a 28' Tag for that reason. I figure $2K for my trailer the step up to enclosed is only another $6K and I gain all the extra storage.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:08 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kgorman
HAHAHA, you are the voice of cost overruns Tom! Well, it's hard to say why not buy and enclosed now, frankly, it's mostly about costs. Sure it seems like a nice starter enclosed runs ~$7000, but then you just have to option it out. So it's like, say $10000, if not $15000, and thats a lot different than $2000, and a lot of track days, repairs, and mods. That said, if fiscal responsibility was the goal here, then I really should not be doing any of this. So you make a very valid point.
Haa, yes , correct on both points . But as the man said , WHICH PART OF PORSCHE RACING DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE , THE PORSCHE PART or the racing part...
Old 01-18-2007, 01:40 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Haa, yes , correct on both points . But as the man said , WHICH PART OF PORSCHE RACING DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE , THE PORSCHE PART or the racing part...

Old 01-18-2007, 11:23 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from an inclosed to an open. The big white box is no longer an eyesore in front of the house whern not in use (No HOA in my hood) and I built a garage. The Al trailer is easy to deal with and pull with a mid sized V6 P/U. Now I have an easy to live with and park, easy on the gas daily driver PU truck and tow all in one. I just mooch off the enclosed trailer owners and hang out in their trailers at the track as the rest did with me when I had one.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:03 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I tell myself it would be nice to have any kind of enclosed trailer, but for the 6-8 times a year I'd use it, I just can't justify it. And I only tow a max of 400 miles one way. So it's an open steel trailer for me.....
Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
I for the 6-8 times a year I'd use it, I just can't justify it. .

There is that word again that I hate so much... JUSTIFY!!!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:47 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I went and looked at trailers this weekend. I am fairly sure I am going to take Tom's advice and go enclosed at this point. However, if I do go open, I will for sure go steel.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:50 AM
2bridges
Drifting

From reading through tis I would wager to say that most aluminum trailer folks are using trailer for single purpose - light car transport.

I would love to get the weight advantage of AL, but I just don't percieve anywhere near the durability compared to steel. My Tow capacity is high, so weight is not a primary factor, but more over I can't feel safe throwing a 4500-5000lb+ equipment on an aluminum trailer.... I don't think? Anybody have capacity specs handy for specific AL open trailer?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
......................... Anybody have capacity specs handy for specific AL open trailer?
This from the Trailex spec sheet. (first two numbers of the model # gives the width in inches, second two numbers ID the capacity in 100lb units):

Model Number, Trailer Weight, Carrying Capacity
CT-7031 715 LBS 3100 LBS
CT-7541 895 LBS 4100 LBS
CT-8045 910 LBS 4500 LBS
CT-8060 1100 LBS 6000 LBS

Quick Reply: steel vs aluminum open trailer