Sponsored by:

Different brands of racing tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 12:11 AM
Arthur
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Different brands of racing tires

What is the advantage of using Pirelli vs Dunlop vs Michelin vs Goodyear and good ole' reliable Hoosiers? Is it worth the extra cost to purchase the "non-Hoosiers"? If it is, where can they be purchased? Lastly, I have no idea how to convert the sizes from the "aspect ratio" to the metric ratio. Help?
Old 11-05-2001, 12:34 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts
Hey Arthur:

Unless you go to the full competition slicks (non-DOT) the Hoosiers are the stickiest. I strongly recommend that you run Hoosiers before jumping into the full slicks.

The metric sizing of the competition tires can be confusing. The first number is the same as on street tires - width. The second # is different. For example my rear slicks are 280/650/18. Which would translate roughly to a 280/35/18 tire.

Hope this helps.

See you

Chris
Old 11-05-2001, 10:52 PM
Arthur
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, Hoosiers it will be. Who mounted your's? NTB on Independence struggled at one time mounting my MXX3's. Did you have them install yours? Next thing is, have you noticed any suspension noise in your 996 since you had it lowered? You have Eibach's, right? Stock shocks and swaybars? Will be at CMP this wekend at the races. See you there.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:26 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Look up: www.bobwoodmantires.com

They're located in charleston, SC and supply most of the tires for PCA, POC, SCCA, etc. races. Bobs site lists tire sizes and specs for lots of race tires, including Pirelli, goodyear, Hoosier, etc. Lots of info.

Jim.

Quick Reply: Different brands of racing tires