Sponsored by:

DE and similar events don't mix with warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 10:34 PM
Arthur
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post DE and similar events don't mix with warranty

My dealer told me that because I "track" the 996, my warranty is completely void. "Track" means, driving on the race track. It could be going 50 MPH , or 120 MPH. So, owners of Porsche's that are still under warranty need to drive no faster than 70 MPH because THAT is the speed limit. Any faster than that, it could mean that you've been at the "track", but how can you defend yourself? "Well, sir, from what the Porsche computer reads, your 996 had a maximum speed recorded at 120 MPH, with the engine spinning at 5000 RPM. That, sir means that you were at the track, therefore, we will not cover the power window motor that has failed. You see, those high G-forces cause the rotors in the motors to reverse polarity, resulting in a massive failure of the DME circuitry. You, sir are responsible for the repairs." Dammit. I knew I should have gotten that 89 Carrera!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2001, 11:00 PM
Jon P. Kofod
AutoX

If that is what they told you get a lawyer!! That is total bull&*^%. The only way they can void your warranty is if you replace or upgrade some portion of the car with a part that is not Porsche approved or OEM. And in that case the part you upgraded would have to have some direct effect in causing some other problem. In other words a different brake pad has nothing to do with your window motor going bad.

Because of the advancements of ECU and DME computers service shops can now find out how you have been driving your car. That being said 5000, 6000, 7000 RPM is irrelevant as the car is engineered to operate in that area. Of course if you miss a shift at 100 and go into 1st, 11,000 RPM is not a permissable range.

Porsche breaks all their engines in on a engine dyno run at maximum RPM.

I would call your Porsche NA regional rep and tell him this bogus story your dealer told you and then tell him your lawyer is looking into the matter.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
1995 F355 Challenge
1988 Dinan M5
198? 944T Club Racer (currently searchning for one)
Old 10-26-2001, 01:43 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Sounds like a good reason not to buy a newer car...
Old 10-29-2001, 12:10 AM
Lightweight-Status-Seaching
AutoX

This is a joke right? If its not, its sad.. Seems like dealerships are getting power trips off of these big brother chips.. But seriously, this is a joke.. Right?
Old 10-30-2001, 08:58 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Guess it depends on the Dealer

Some vette dealers re-act the same way.......even on the Z06's with race prep. shown on the video
Old 11-09-2001, 10:55 AM
C2P996
Track Day

Thumbs up

H.J.Pfaff Motors salesmen arrange track days. They claim no warranty problems.
Old 11-09-2001, 01:45 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Porsche Customer Commitment Group:
(800)545-8039

Get the regional service rep's name and number. What came out of that dealer's mouth is ridiculous.

I've heard some crazy stories/BS from dealers but this one takes the cake.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2001, 11:54 PM
Arthur
Pro

Customer commitment told me that it was okay to take it to the track. I asked what would happen if I ordered the M030 RoW springs that are ORIGINAL from Porsche and installed them in my car. Customer commitment told me if I did that, then the warranty on the suspension is void. Who has sued and won with cases like these? PCNA snoopers, are you reporting to your superiors?

Quick Reply: DE and similar events don't mix with warranty