Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:35 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default FIA and the HANS

I was reading the FIA Driver's Guide (posted in a thread by rennlist/forum member 'baldheadracing')
http://www.fiainstitute.com/documents/driver_guide.pdf

(c) Head and neck support
One of the most significant advances in driver safety in recent years has been the introduction of the FIA-approved HANS® (Head And Neck Support). This is a device worn on the shoulders over the outside of the overalls and tethered to the helmet. It is held in place underneath the shoulder belts. The device very effectively prevents the neck being stretched and twisted excessively in an impact, dramatically reducing neck loads and the likelihood of spinal injury.
The HANS® greatly reduces the risk of injury to face or neck in a frontal accident and has no disadvantages as long as it is properly installed – some cars may need adjustment to the seat or shoulder belt anchorages. You are strongly advised to use it, for all events - it is mandatory in Formula 1 and various other championships.

It is however essential have a helmet approved for HANS® use (see FIA Technical list no. 29) and to have the HANS® anchorages on the helmet installed by your helmet makers or an expert approved by them.

I found this section to be the most interesting:

Note that the use of any protective device attached to a helmet is prohibited unless FIA approved. There is little evidence that wearing one of the proprietary types of neck brace or cervical collar will help in an accident; some may exacerbate injuries.

Is the HANS the only FIA approved H&N restraint?

Which other H&N restraints has the FIA tested which "may actually exacerbate injuries?"

Just about all the data that has been posted and discussed in this forum shows that, at worst, a H&N restraint provides marginal improvement over the baseline....I don't EVER recall seeing any data that says they can actually "exacerbate injuries".

This is rather unsettling.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:12 AM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't be unsettled. I don't think they're talking about other H&N restraints.

I believe HANS design is the only FIA-approved restraint (although multiple manufacturer's of HANS are approved). I don't think this implies that one design is better or worse than another.

When they're talking about exacerbating injuries, I believe they are referring to the foam collar, or "horse collar" made of only foam. In higher-speed impacts, the foam could become a spring, which could make things worse. (My memory is a little hazy on more details as I was told the information third-hand about three years ago by my FIA representative.)

Also FYI, the FIA institute has released a guide for using/installing HANS (just HANS), http://www.fiainstitute.com/documents/HANS_Guide.pdf

As an aside, now that Schroth makes street-legal four-point belts for normal (non-shell - and unfortunately, non-Porsche) seats that are certified for use with HANS, I'm strongly considering switching to HANS.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 PM
wedge
2nd Gear

I'm strongly considering switching to HANS
What device do you currently use?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:40 AM
baldheadracing
Instructor

I've had a Wright Device for almost five years now. I don't think they're available anymore - Jay Wright passed away a couple of years ago. I just checked and his web site URL no longer resolves.

I'm sure there are better alternatives available now, but back then, one essentially had a choice between HANS (really big bucks back then) and the Wright Device (build-it-yourself from freely-available plans).
Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by baldheadracing
I've had a Wright Device for almost five years now. I don't think they're available anymore - Jay Wright passed away a couple of years ago. I just checked and his web site URL no longer resolves.

I'm sure there are better alternatives available now, but back then, one essentially had a choice between HANS (really big bucks back then) and the Wright Device (build-it-yourself from freely-available plans).
You should still be able to find the plans for Jay's design, if you want to build another.

The device George White has or the Isaac Link are also good values at ~$400 and ~$300 respectively.

Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
Old 01-18-2007, 02:12 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Thanks Gregg. I have a copy of the plans, parts list, etc. I want to switch as I want to get away from a full-body harness - mine always needed fiddling with. My harnesses and seat have also expired and have to be replaced this year, cage needs updates to meet new rules - hmm, maybe I should just go back to DE ...

Budget isn't that much of an issue with the US$ exchange these days and the gradual lowering of restraint prices. A HANS today will cost me less than one-third what it would have cost back then.

Of course, there is lots more choice today, as a review of this forum will indicate!

BTW, thank-you for all your contributions here, Gregg. I really appreciate your active presence here.

Quick Reply: FIA and the HANS