Sponsored by:

How much does your cage weigh?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Ken T
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How much does your cage weigh?

I was at the fabricator today checking the progress of my car. Damn, it looks nice and stiff but heavy. I will get a better estimate of the weight when it comes home and I can measure all the tubing, but my rough estimates seem pretty heavy. Anyone know what their cage weighs? If so, a brief description of how extensive it is will give a better comparison. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:42 PM
Jerry Ljung
Advanced

120 lbs ~ standard DOM 1 1/2 autopower for 944, single sidebars

but think of it this way -- 1) most instructors weigh more than that. 2) everyone else has one.

have fun, hope you never use it.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:22 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find out the diameter and wall thickness of the tubing. Then measure the lengths of the tubes and add them up. Then go on the web and find the weight per foot of the tubing. Simple math.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:53 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Ken have them put it on corner balancing scales before and after... I am going in for a full cage next month. I just got rid of 120 lbs trying to stay ahead of the curve.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
The DAS roll bar I had was heavy. Maybe 80# but that is a guess. I just had a welded cage installed. I will weigh the car at the next race (Sebring)and let you know. My guess is that I added 40-60# over the DAS roll bar. I was slightly under weight when I was low on fuel so this will be a good thing.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:14 AM
Kevin M
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by vehdyn:
<strong>I was at the fabricator today checking the progress of my car. Damn, it looks nice and stiff but heavy. I will get a better estimate of the weight when it comes home and I can measure all the tubing, but my rough estimates seem pretty heavy. Anyone know what their cage weighs? If so, a brief description of how extensive it is will give a better comparison. Thanks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I have an eight point cage w/double door bars and gussets in the top four corners of the cage. Material is DOM 1.5" x 120 . Weight is in the 170-180lb. range. (heavy) I guess if you have to drag that extra weight around, it might as well be in the cage.
Kevin
Old 01-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Eric in Chicago:
<strong>...I just got rid of 120 lbs trying to stay ahead of the curve.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Eric,

What did you do (I'm always trying to find ways to get rid of weight)?

BTW, there's an old PM from me (about MOMO wheel)
Old 01-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey FF,
I changed the door panels out from the stock to RS style (to use door bars with the cage) that saved me 10lbs each. The rear seat back, 40 lbs.
Got rid of subwoofers, 38 lbs. Huge Alpine amp, 25lbs. Heater bypass, 5lbs. Momo steering wheel, 6 or 7 lbs. Re the Momo wheel, I pm you back. I will have the 964 part early next week and I will see if it will work to get my horn working again.
I will send you a note when I am done. By the way the wheel is very nice! closer, smaller, nice feel. I dont miss the carbon fiber covered airbag wheel at all ( I got the Momo GT3R wheel)
Old 01-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Ken T
Advanced

The cage is a full 8 point going to the rear shock towers (its an M3) and between them. I did the math and that's what concerned me. I am looking at 200 lbs. Ouch! Oh well, I will just have to be creative to find a way to remove some more weight in other places. I know it will be stiff and safe, however, this was this fabricators first M3 and I think there are some efficiencies to be gained. I just wanted to check how high I was comparatively and it looks like I am pretty high. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:28 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
Hey Ken. Hmmm, with that location, and that handle, wonder if I know you? Or should?

The cage in my ITA car I'm 99% sure is about 200#. Seriously heavy-duty and overkill, but I needed about that much ballast to make IT weight. Basis was an OG Racing cage with a ship weight of about 80-100 lbs (6-pt bolt-in). Then we added all sorts of cross bracing and so-on for another 100-120lbs.

You work in vehicle dynamics? Likewise, @ Bosch...

Where do you plan on running it? BMWCCA?
Old 01-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Ken T
Advanced

Yep. I used to work in VehDyn Dev at Ford. Now, I am Vehdyn Dev. manager at Visteon. Vehdyn Dev. is a small world, I am sure we will meet at some point. The plan is to run in BMWCCA and/or NASA. I wanted to start this spring, but my wife is expecting and is due the end of May. I think the start of my racing career will be delayed until later this summer. More time to tune, I guess. See you around.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:31 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not weigh it, but ballpark is 100#. I gave back all of the weight I saved in the seats and sunroof delete :-(
Old 01-23-2003, 01:46 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool! I'm sure we'll meet up at a NASA event before long...
Old 01-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Ken T
Advanced

Funny. We met earlier than we thought. That was you on the SAE Driver training conference call, correct?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:15 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup!! Too funny! Glad to make your acquaintance again!

Quick Reply: How much does your cage weigh?