Sponsored by:

Harness loops for rollbar? (RDE)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts
Post Harness loops for rollbar? (RDE)

I have done a search but have not found the answer I need.

I am about to buy a used bolt-in DAS bar that I will use for DE events. This bar does not have any harness loops but I understand that they can be welded on. Although I plan on using five point harnesses, I will keep the stock seats.

How important are these guide loops? If they are so important, why didn't the previous owner have them in his car which was setup for club racing and not DE's? I can't ask the owner since a friend is selling it for him. Are they essential for the harnesses or just merely helpful?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Old 01-20-2003, 02:53 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since a race seat provides shoulder harness pass throughs, the previous owner may have deemed the harness guides redundant. However, if you are using stock seats, they are essential to keep the harnesses in place at at the right angle, so that they don't slip off your shoulders.

You can buy them from Dougherty (DAS-Sport bar supplier) for not much money and have them welded on locally.

Karl
Old 01-20-2003, 02:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Karl,

Thanks for your help! Your answer makes sense although I have wondered why DAS positions the loops differently depending on the seat type, the implication being that, even with race seats, harness loops are STILL used.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DAS does space them a bit different depending on your seat, but they are an option.

With the stock seats, it helps to get a loop fabricated (ask at a local race store) that holds the shoulder harnesses in position around the headrest (ie, something to do the job the holes in the seat do). This not only ensures that the harnesses will stay in position when needed (which hopefully will never occur) but also when you take them off and want to put them back on they will be handy. Otherwise they can fall back behind the seat and be a pain to locate.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Tom. It makes sense for the loops to stay in place, tight or not.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:33 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Get some good seat(s) while your at it. You won't regret it as you will no longer be holding on to the steering wheel to stay put. It feels so much better to have the seat support you and you can use your arms for controling the car. Plus there is the safety factor of the seat holding you in and holding the safety harness in the correct position just in case something happens. Just food for thought.

Jim
Old 01-21-2003, 11:57 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
FYI....
PCA DE "NATIONAL MINIMUM STANDARDS" now require equal restraints (seat & harness or stock) for passenger and driver.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:59 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info, folks!

Quick Reply: Harness loops for rollbar? (RDE)