Sponsored by:

944 cage

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Trak Ratt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post 944 cage

I’m in the market for a full cage for a 944 Cup car I’m building. I’ll probally run in PCA too. When looking at the “Huntely Racing” cage on their WEB site it looks like the rear bars connect in the area of the rear seat belt mounts. I was wondering if this puts the rear bars at to steep an angle for some of the licensing organizations? Has any one had any problems w/these cages? I like that the front bars go through the dash, leaving more room for getting in & out.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Huntley Racing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually you are looking at a bolt in roll bar that was converted to a cage at a later date. Look at the semi-tube frame car at the bottom of our cages page to see the recommended placement for a weld in cage. To answer your question though our roll bars are legal for all sanctioning bodies we know of that these cars can run with. Here are those pics:

<a href="http://www.huntleyracing.com/project_cars/zebra/newzebra_stripped04.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.huntleyracing.com/project_cars/zebra/newzebra_stripped04.jpg</a>

<a href="http://www.huntleyracing.com/project_cars/zebra/newzebra_stripped09.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.huntleyracing.com/project_cars/zebra/newzebra_stripped09.jpg</a>

<a href="http://www.huntleyracing.com/project_cars/zebra/newzebra_stripped05.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.huntleyracing.com/project_cars/zebra/newzebra_stripped05.jpg</a>
Old 01-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I would never run that rollbar either by itself or as part of a cage. Those main hoop bends are nature's way of saying "fold here."

That said, the zebra car cage is top notch. There are a few changes I would personally make, and in fact will as the cage I will be putting in my ITS race car will be very similar. The biggest change I would make is to keep as many bars as stright as possible. Every bend is potentially a "fold here" location.

I will also be using X bars on both sides. I know this is swimming up stream (to put it politely), but while the NASCAR bars will give you more working room, their failure mode is to fold inside the car to mirror their previous shape. Their strength comes purely from mass. The X bars can only fail if they are literally ripped from the verticle bars themselves or the verticle bars ripped out of the car. Think about that a bit.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:18 PM
Huntley Racing
Racer

The idea behind 'NASCAR' door bars is to build in crumple zone. The added room is a perk but not the reason it was done to the 'Zebra' and other customers cars we build. The extra bracing vertically on the 'NASCAR' bars keeps the structure sound and stronger than the normal 'X' brace.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Just a little OT, but how much does that 'zebra' car weigh? What kind of engine is in it?
-Z.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:32 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
seems like there are a few things missing from the Zebra cage ..
like:

1. a conection between the top corners of the roll bar and a straight bar to the rear suspension p/u. .. In addition to the X.

2. a conection between the two rear suspension p/u ... kind of like a strut bar for the rear.

This is how mine was done.

944 turbo
Old 01-10-2003, 10:45 PM
Huntley Racing
Racer

There are lots more bars in the back now as you have mentioned the cage work was waiting on the suspension and the rear wing to be completed. I will try to take some pics of the car at some point.

The car is not back together yet so I can't give you an exact figure but around 1850# or so should be close. She is powered by a 3.2ltr 16V single turbo motor with the best of everything
Old 01-11-2003, 01:08 AM
Geo
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Huntley Racing:
<strong>The idea behind 'NASCAR' door bars is to build in crumple zone. The added room is a perk but not the reason it was done to the 'Zebra' and other customers cars we build. The extra bracing vertically on the 'NASCAR' bars keeps the structure sound and stronger than the normal 'X' brace.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Actually, if you build that same mass into an X brace, the X would still be much stronger. The "problem" with the NASCAR "crumple zone" is once is starts to crumple it will intrude into the car at least as far as it stuck outside the cage, all without the main hoop or forward braces moving. However, the only way to make an X brace intrude is to literally rip it from the main hoop or forward braces, or to rip them from the mounting plates.

Pound for pound, the only thing the NASCAR bars really get you is working room.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing your cage. It's one of the best 944 cages I've seen. Mine will be similar, kind of a cross between this one and the one Jon Milledge recommends (while I've not actually seen one, the design is the best I've seen).
Old 01-11-2003, 09:58 AM
John Brown 3
1st Gear

Is the cage in the picture DOM? Understand that NASA and SCCA are going to require DOM starting sometime this year.

Quick Reply: 944 cage