Sponsored by:

I drove an F1 simulator car today at CES 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I drove an Formula 1 simulator multiple times on Costa Cruise Ship last summer.
This is a very reaslistic simulator, (costs about million bucks, yes, a $million). You won't find one at your local gaming center.
I have to say it was pretty amazing! If you're thinking of taking an European Cruise, I'd suggest booking yourself on Costa Concordia so you can have a blast.
BTW, also driving was Vitantonio Liuzzi (Red Bull is one of the sponsors of the simulator) and his comments were wery complimentory.
Finn, the left rear looks a little grained...take out 1.5 pounds.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:34 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Another option is to drive a real F1 car on track.

With three world class F1 cars, this place offers students the exclusive opportunity to ride or drive modern day FIA spec, World Championship F1 cars.

No pace cars, no speed limits, no rev limiters. Choose from the Arrows, the Benetton or the Prost .

http://www.racingschool.com/
Old 01-10-2007, 10:42 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Another option is to drive a real F1 car on track.

With three world class F1 cars, this place offers students the exclusive opportunity to ride or drive modern day FIA spec, World Championship F1 cars.

No pace cars, no speed limits, no rev limiters. Choose from the Arrows, the Benetton or the Prost .

http://www.racingschool.com/
Dave, you have seen me drive and you still think that is a better idea than a simulator?

I am no ghettoracer
Old 01-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
...Finn,

That looks awesome. The lack of feel of the car in the simulator I drove really was a shame. I can only imagine how it would feel to put it all together. Like yours, this one allowed you to choose the track.
This felt pretty good, steering wheel pulled very strongly and braking, cornering and accelerating felt quite good since as you can see, car moves a lot to create those senses. Funny thing is when you're driving, you don't realize the movement that way, it just feels like you're braking, accelerating etc.

BTW, +1 on the driving the real F1 car, not grazy expensive and then you get real experience.

Someone I know drove F3000 car few years ago, this was in last years model in a same track where they just had F3000 race the previous weekend.
He did ~20 laps and last 5 laps he said he was really pushing it hard, braking as late as you can, cornering on the limit etc. He thought you can really not drive that car faster that what he did.
When at pits, the crew told him his best lap time... About 5 seconds slower than the slowest car on the previous race's qualifying...

Oh, I gotta brag, I was faster than Liuzzi on that simulator ... IMO just proves the simulators, no matter how good they are, are not like the real thing as I'm sure I'd be hours slower than Liuzzi on a real F1 car. Made me feel good though!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Dave, you have seen me drive and you still think that is a better idea than a simulator?

I am no ghettoracer
Well I would hate to lose a 944 Cup driver before the season got underway. OK, I see the point of the simulator.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:04 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Well I would hate to lose a 944 Cup driver before the season got underway. OK, I see the point of the simulator.
Ouch

Quick Reply: I drove an F1 simulator car today at CES 2007