Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6-point harness mounting help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:13 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't let me post the picture, can someone post it for me.

"http://www.dtmotorsports.com/~sbarton/6PointRouting.jpg"
Old 03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That is for the Profi-F model of harness. The install pic John posted earlier is for the 6-point and hybrid models.

Patrick,

That manual comes on CD with the schroth harnesses. I was amazed on how much information they provided vs the last set of harnesses I owned. And yeah, it's a bit scarry seeing what some other cars in the paddock have.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:55 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed;

This is for a "Formula" or "D-ring" type system. As mentioned, there is no direct attachment, or load path, into the lap belt. Therefore the sub must be worn as a more extreme cradle with a rearward mounting and a very snug adjustment.

The diagram I posted is for the Profi and Hybrid.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:48 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how does a 6 point that is located through a center hole and is mounted below the seats perform differently than 5 point which is located and mounted in a similar fashion?

I have always heard that 6 points were superior saftey wise to 5-points. Mounted similar to 5 points, it does not look like they perform any differently?

Is the difference strictly for protection and comfort of the Jewels?

-Scott
Old 03-05-2007, 06:59 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The sub hole in my Recaro SPG is long, and allows the two sub-straps to stay seperated. I use a Schroth Hybrid and it allows plenty of room for the boys while driving, and will apply no load to them in a shunt (the straps rest on the inner thigh).
Old 03-05-2007, 09:42 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott;

Depends on what kind of 6-point you are talking about. The "V" type is no different than a single sub (5-point). I'm not really sure why they even exist. Both of these are mounted 10* forward of the extended "spine line" so your nuts don't get crunched.

There are also different types of "split subs," like the Formula talked about before, the "T" bar Schroth Profi type, or the Hybrid. The Formula must be mounted behind the driver for the reason stated previously. The Schroth Profi (any "T" bar type) or Hybrid can be mounted around 20* behind the spine line. They offer both very good downward lap belt control, and very good cradle effect by being mounted a little rearward, all with a lot of comfort too.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

How are you guys mounting the 6pt anti-sub straps to the car? I have Simpsons with the "T" 6pt anti-sub straps on both the driver and passenger seats (OMP and Sparco) which have the designated hole for the straps. Currently, I have them both mounted per the SCCA regs where the ant-sub straps are sat on and then cradled up and attached to the camlock. I did this for last years DE season and had no problems except for one instrutor who refused to wear the sub straps and chose to go out 4pt which I thought was ignorant considering the high lap belt placement due to the tension on the shoulder straps....oh well.

I am looking to do this "right" or correct as I can. I am not a huge fan in drilling holes through the floor unless I know it will be a safer alternative. John, I know you have welded up a seperate crossmember for just this purpose as opposed to the huge washer sandwitching the floorboard panel.
TIA!!
Old 03-07-2007, 08:29 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Charlie;

As long as you have the sub adjusted so that they are fairly snug, that system will work pretty well. The only drawback generally is that it can be a bit uncomfortable in the groin area to wear the straps that tight. I doubt many people actually have it adjusted tight enough.

Beyond that, it is a tough deal. Something like the Brey-Krasue type beam under the seat is the only other way to go without modifying the car. Sounds like your 83 is well on its way already, so you might invest in something like that. The stock seat mounts aren't any good anyway, and you can incorporate subs into a new custom seat mounting system.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Thank you kindly John! I will definitely look into the Brey-Krasue beam. In the past I had the straps pretty taught but the DE sessions were not extremely long unlike an enduro.
Thanks again for the advice!
Old 03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Is this the Brey-Krause bar that was referred to: http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemde...98&showbrake=1
I see it is only available for Boxsters and 996's...I do not know if it will fit a 944?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

I'm not aware of any bolt in solutions for the 944, but that seems to be a preferable type solution to going into the thin floor.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 173 Posts

I am planning to install Schroth Hybrids and new (probably GT3) seats into my '04 996 shortly. My question regards the use of the B-K Sub Mount Beam. I would much rather use that bar than drill through the floor, but would such an install be (per the Lone Star PCA DE Handbook Section 3.3.2): "...installed in accordance with manufacturer's instructions" given that the Schroth instructions show drilling through the floor?

Quick Reply: 6-point harness mounting help