Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris Perot and John Morton take GTS Class Win!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002 | 08:44 PM
JOESELLSVW
Cruisin'

Post Chris Perot and John Morton take GTS Class Win!

From a dream season to tossing and turning with mechanical issues and crashes, The Racer's Group battles back to score a class win today at the spectacular Mt. Tremblant circuit. From early in the race when team owner Kevin Buckler literally had the shifter come off in his hands, to a failed drive shaft in the #67 car and later a gearbox problem in the #68 green GT3 RS of Paco Orti, TRG crew members wouldn't rest until the cars were back on the track and it all paid off with the Perot/Morton effort in the #67 car taking a class win in the GTS class. Kevin Buckler was quoted as saying the strategy in running the car in GTS was to give Christine and John a chance at a podium finish, since they joined the series late in the season and weren't in contention for the points battle in the GT class. The #66 car of Buckler and Schrom battled not only mechanical adversity but also contact with the leading prototype Lista car. With Michael Schrom behind the wheel, overall race leader Didier Theys ducked under the Racer's Group entry just as Schrom had turned in to the apex of the turn. Brief contact caused the GT3 RS to spin but Schrom masterfully brought the car back from the edge of disaster. The only casualty was a damaged rear diffuser on the Lista car which seemed to have little affect on lap times. Ater the problems that TRG had at Watkin's Glen and the rain, contact, and mechanicals at VIR, it was a relief for the team to get back to the podium. For mor info, check out the Grand Am site at <a href="http://www.grand-am.com" target="_blank">www.grand-am.com</a> Joe
Old 09-15-2002 | 09:03 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

<a href="http://www.grand-am.com/race_results/view_final.cfm?ider=58&id=18" target="_blank">http://www.grand-am.com/race_results/view_final.cfm?ider=58&id=18</a>

You do realize that there were only 3 cars in GTS? The forementioned TRG Porsche, an old 993 RSR, and a Mustang.
The highest finishing Porsche was 3rd overall and 2nd in GT class. The ACEMCO got their second podium finish in as many races.

It is a shame that the second overall car was from the "slowest" group. SRP, SRPII and GTS cars were basically non-existant.
Old 09-15-2002 | 09:19 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Looks like an SCCA club race. 22 cars in 7 classes - this series is in trouble if they don't fix this.
Old 09-15-2002 | 09:25 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark,
They had to let Grand Am Cup cars in so they would get at least 20 cars in the field. (GS1 and GSII). My 993 could run as a GSII car, so in theory I could have been out there racing with these guys.
Old 09-15-2002 | 10:51 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>Mark,
They had to let Grand Am Cup cars in so they would get at least 20 cars in the field. (GS1 and GSII). My 993 could run as a GSII car, so in theory I could have been out there racing with these guys.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And if you had finished the race, you might have even had a top 10 - certainly a top 20 finish in a big time pro race. And you would have finished ahead of 50% of the SRP's (I & II). How is that for spin - I think I should be your manager.

Quick Reply: Chris Perot and John Morton take GTS Class Win!