Sponsored by:

Need engine for 914 track car...any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 11:20 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Please put a Porsche engine in your Porsche.

Hey, wait, maybe the new VW V-8 (interesting engine) will fit back there. At least you'd be returning to the 914's roots!

Also, if you could get your hands on one of those Audi 6 cylinder turbocharged engines you'd be running with the winningest car of the last four years.

Here's one for students of WWII. A German car, with a Japanese engine, throw in a set of Italian tires (Pirelli) and a Momo steering wheel, and there you have it, the complete "Axis car". ("bonzi").

Richard
Old 09-29-2002, 11:19 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

"Here's one for students of WWII. A German car, with a Japanese engine, throw in a set of Italian tires (Pirelli) and a Momo steering wheel, and there you have it, the complete "Axis car". ("bonzi")."

AHAhahahahh, that's great. Sure why not? This is a race car, and you really want to have the best combination of all the parts. I think there's a wide, vast grey area when you approach the car from a 'purist' point of view. Where do you draw the line? He's already got non-Porsche body-panels on the car. Porsche obviously didn't mine the bauxite ore to smelt into the aluminum they used for the block. The pistons were made by some one else. The bearings were made by another. The electronics were made by someone else. In Europe, the 914 wasn't even marketed as a Porsche and there was no Porsche crest on it anywhere.

I think SoloRacer is after a fast car from a 'racer' point of view; whatever will make the car go FAST! I won't say anything about how a right-hand drive Civic with ITR motor bested the POC's FTD time by over 5 seconds at the Streets of Willow course. I might bring that guy with me to the next POC meet to shake things up a bit... heh, heh...

"Finally, I'm also a little concerned as to the fragility of the rotary engine. I'm in an RX7 club and know first hand what can go wrong with these engines. Does anyone know of a website or of someone who has actually put a rotary in a 914? "

Yeah, they don't stand up to detonation too well, you gotta be spot on with the air-fuel mixture. There are also very few EFI systems that can provide the proper primary & secondary ignition timing.

Here's some info:

<a href="http://www.monito.com/wankel/convert-german.html" target="_blank">Converting German Cars to Rotary Combustion Engines </a> - I've got a 560SEL that needs a new engine, might go for the 20B from the Cosmos. Supposedly there's a guy in Grenada that almost made it to the <a href="http://www.opentrackchallange" target="_blank">Open Track Challenge</a> with a 720hp 20B twin-turbo RX-7.

<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/demonspawn914" target="_blank">914 Engine Conversion Links</a>
<a href="http://www.mariahmotorsports.com" target="_blank">Design Energy/Mariah Motorsports</a> - 13B into Beck Speedster
Old 09-30-2002, 05:09 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I don't think you will be able to race the 914 in PCA Club Race with a rotary unless you can make it using Porsche heads and block.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:20 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Danno,

Good point about the international components that went into making these cars (and still do). My '01 VR6 has a German engine, various South American parts, and I think it was assembled in Mexico.

The 914-6 did have a cloisone (sp?) Porsche crest on the rear deck and on the steering wheel. I think in Europe the rear deck of the 4-cylinder 914 had the VW in the circle logo attached to the word Porsche (which was the name of a separate corporate entity that was formed just for production of the 914). In any event the only place the Porsche crest appeared on the US version of the 914 was on the steering wheel (again, with the exception of the 914-6 and the 914-6 GT).

Now, as far as an engine for SoloRacer, how about the new V-12 VW is using in their $80,000 sedan? A hotrodded VW engine (no little turbo or supercharged 4 cylinder mind you) in a 914 would be kind of ironic, no? Then SoloR can head for the salt flats of Bonneville with that thing!

Richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L
Old 09-30-2002, 08:29 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

This past weekend there was a very sanitary twin turbo 914 at the Club Race at Summit Point. Seriously, must have Porsche heads and case -- but I wonder if that applies to a VW derivative since there is some heritage there.

Unfotunately I think your venues are limited with a non-Porsche engine -- I wish it wasn't so - I still like the idea of a completely free class where anything goes.

Quick Reply: Need engine for 914 track car...any suggestions