Sponsored by:

Steel Syncros

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 08:56 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Steel Syncros

I'm having my gearbox rebuild (Ruf 5 speed) and wonder if steel syncros will be worth the additional cost. I track the car about 20 days a year, and it is also my daily driver. What's the approximate additional cost, and is it worth doing ?. The car is a 1985 930S RUF BTR

Thanks in advance
Old 09-07-2002, 09:44 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts
I think they are worth teh cost. Put them in my RSA and 993. Never had a problem afterwards. I remember looking at them and thinking they couldn't be that expensive but I don't remeber the cost now.

Brian Copan in Cincinnati did my work. Highly recommend his services.

Alan
Old 09-07-2002, 11:40 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Erik:
<strong>I'm having my gearbox rebuild (Ruf 5 speed) and wonder if steel syncros will be worth the additional cost. I track the car about 20 days a year, and it is also my daily driver. What's the approximate additional cost, and is it worth doing ?. The car is a 1985 930S RUF BTR

Thanks in advance</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Erik:

This would really depend which tranny you have. The Ruf 5-speed is a converted 930 tranny and already has steel syncros, as it uses the older Porsche baulk-ring design syncromesh.

If you have a G-50 5-speed tranny, those did have brass syncros and the Motorsport steel ones are an excellent upgrade. They are not cheap; budget a little over $ 2000 for 4 of them.
Old 09-07-2002, 12:20 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
If you dont have steel, get them. I replaced my brass syncros 3-6th this year, I skimped on 1s and 2nd and now regret it as it looks like 2nd gear syncro is gone. I will now have to spend 900.00 labor to have the trans opened again... You may want to give Roger@ PowerhouseII a call. He supplies gears to many shops.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:56 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replies,

Steve, I have the Ruf 5 speed (converted 930 gearbox) so I guess I already have steel syncros. I'll find out next week when they are in there for sure and find out the cost. Will post the results

Erik
Old 09-08-2002, 02:18 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Erik:
<strong>Thanks for all the replies,

Steve, I have the Ruf 5 speed (converted 930 gearbox) so I guess I already have steel syncros. I'll find out next week when they are in there for sure and find out the cost. Will post the results

Erik</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Erik:

With the 930-based transmission, you already have the best parts in there and they simply might need to be freshened up. When syncros, operating sleeves (sliders) and engagement teeth (dog teeth) get worn from quick & hard shifting, these things need frequent attention.

Make sure that you are using Swepco #102 gear oil as nothing is better in these trannys.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Thanks Steve,

I always use Swepco, and attempt to shift relativly carefull (meaning slow) even when on the track. I was hoping that there was something to make my tranny more bullit proof with all the trackdays that I do every year, but I guess from what I get from your posts, it's as good as it is going to get. (unless I convert to a G50 gearbox, which I don't want to do because of eventual sale and originality).

Next dreamcar will have a 6 speed tranny with steel syncros

Quick Reply: Steel Syncros