Sponsored by:

tracking a cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 12:58 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by pig4bill:
<strong>As far as a cab being "scary" compared to a coupe, I'm guessing a cab with a rollbar is stouter than a coupe without one.
</strong><hr></blockquote>
I don't know...what about this: sheet metal vs. canvas: let's say you're upside down and sliding: a canvas top can easily tear and allow 'stuff' to enter the car. That's my biggest concern about cabrios: not the initial rollover protection, but what can enter the cockpit afterwards!

BTW: At last night's meeting I was talking to someone to DE's a Boxster and asked her about how she feels, safety wise. She got every uncomfortable, and said, "We try not to think about it from that point of view..."

If you can't pass the broomstick test, perhaps a set of easy in/easy out harnesses would help: it will push you down an inch or so.

-Zoltan.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:59 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z-man:
[QB]
[[I don't know...what about this: sheet metal vs. canvas: let's say you're upside down and sliding: a canvas top can easily tear and allow 'stuff' to enter the car. That's my biggest concern about cabrios: not the initial rollover protection, but what can enter the cockpit afterwards! ]]

That's similar to my biggest concern as well, which is having a car go upside down and end up with the armco or a tire wall protruding into the gap between the windshield and roll bar. A pretty ugly image. There's lots of squishy stuff occupying that area, and it wouldn't hold up well. Running with a hardtop in place really won't help much, either, even if it happened to stay on - the only real solution is a full cage.

I haven't ridden in a 911 cab on the track (and I wouldn't with just the pop-up rollbar), but have spent a number of days in Boxsters. I'm not completely comfortable with it, but I do it. I tend to let the drivers extend themselves a little less hard in them, though, particularly in certain turns. There are a significant number of instructors who won't ride in cabs, and I can respect that.

Matt
Old 06-14-2002, 01:29 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, I had not even considered driving with the top up. It sort of defeats my purpose of having maximum headroom. SCCA used to not allow cars to run with tops in place. Years ago when I was involved in solo and road racing the vast majority of the cars were open (Spridgets, Spitfires, MGB's, Triumphs, formula cars, etc). Granted, the roll bars were higher, but not by much. I used to race a Spridget myself, but I don't remember that we were concerned about "stuff" coming into the car.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:08 AM
Ben Cannon
Cruisin'

I track an 'open' car (though not an 911), however I wouldn't track one that couldn't pass the 'broomstick' test with me in it. You can snap your neck like nothing if your head protrudes... Active rool protection would count for me.

If you're not exactly in peak physical condition already, I *definately* recomend having a seat custom-made off a mould of your body. The better makers can make you a seat that will be MORE comfortable (for you and you alone) than a stock seat.

And about sixty times safer...

Frankly, I wouldn't be too worried about rollovers (rare indeed) but much more worried
about that back of yours.

God I love driving on the track! It's like a videogame, only squared. And it really happens. I too am grinning like an idoit for weeks afterwords

Best!
Ben.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:27 AM
Ben Cannon
Cruisin'

New thought, how about a Targa?
Old 06-14-2002, 03:39 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My take on tracking targes:

1. On the plus side: all Porsche targas (911 and 914) have integrated roll bars, except for the last iteration of the targa (ie the huge sunroof one). So it may offer as much, if not better rollover protection than a coupe without a rollbar.

2. On the minus side: Once the car is flipped over, it may offer less protection than a couple, but more than a cabrio.

3. Also: a targa's chassis is not as stiff as a coupes, so some mods may need to be done to tighten it down a bit.

Just my $0.42.
-Zoltan.

PS: I've really enjoyed this thread! Nice to hear other's opinions on this subject! And I apologyze if I've posted too many times....
Old 06-15-2002, 02:39 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Ben Cannon:
<strong>New thought, how about a Targa?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's an idea. I've never really sat in one because I never liked their looks. But logically it looks like it has more headroom because the roof doesn't slope down towards the back. With helmet I might be even with the targa bar or even a touch lower. They quit making them in 89, right?
Old 06-15-2002, 06:00 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an '81 911SC Targa I used to track, but installed a full Safety Devices cage in it with the seat I'm currently using installed the same way. There's not much if any difference between the two in the way of head room.

Jim
Old 06-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

They made original style Targa's right through the end of the 964 in '94. Later in '96 is when the sliding glass top style Targa came out.
Old 06-30-2002, 05:01 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

I knew there was a advantage to being vertically challenged. : )
A roll cage costs? Your worth? **** happens.....
Paul
Old 07-09-2002, 11:57 PM
big-jim
1st Gear

[quote]Originally posted by pig4bill:
<strong>Thanks again everyone. It sounds like a cab will probably work for me. I have no fear of getting hooked on club racing, I don't have the time to pursue that. The broomstick test would give me trouble though, so I better check on that.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm 6'8" and currently track a 911 cab. It's a nice street car that I've set it up with a welded in roll bar, strut brace, race seats with 5pt harnesses. I had the drivers seat custom mounted so that my head with helmet is below the roll bar. I'm thinking about selling the car, so if you're interested, contact me off line and I'd be happy to discuss it with you further.

Quick Reply: tracking a cab