OT: 30 years since the death of Jarno Saarinen

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post OT: 30 years since the death of Jarno Saarinen

I know this is little ot but since it's racing (two wheel) I wanted to share this.

Today comes 30 years since the death of great MotoGP driver, Jarno Saarinen. He was born in same city, (Turku, Finland) as where I was born and his grave is also there.

1972 250 cc World Champion in his third full season, he also was second in 350 cc class in that same year.

He was heading for the 'hat trick', thre world championsips in that year and would've had great chance to achieve that (250, 350 & 500 classes).
He beat 'the god' Agostini in two classes which clearly showed his talent.

He had already won Daytona 200 & Imola 200 in his final season, he had won five races on that season, only race which he didn't won was Hockenheim where his bike's chain broke. Unfortunately in Monza's 250 race, first lap horrible accident took his and Pasolini's life.

He is still remembered greatly and especially in Italy (besides Finland, obviously) where people remember him well and loved him when he was still alive. One example of this is Formula 1 driver, Jarno Trulli who is named after him.

So, today, I join all the two wheel lovers who remember his memory.

Quick Reply: OT: 30 years since the death of Jarno Saarinen