Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

equipment for filling shock reservoirs

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine looks similar to this except the final fitting has the T-Schrader valve on it.

I like it because there is a second pressure gauge right before the connection to the shocks.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:00 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I received my Longacre Racing shock filler on Friday from CDOC, and tried it out yesterday. Its just what I wanted - a way to fill the shock to a desired pressure, then disconnect without pressure loss.
As can be seen in my picture, the gauge end fits to the filler hose (or directly to the regulator) - you will need to supply a 1/4 quick connector. Other end connects to the shock cannister (just like your shock gauge) with a 3.5 foot hose that is part of the device.
Once connected, open your gas source regulator to a bit above target (my front shock target is 175 psi, so I opened the source to 200 psi).
Zero the gauge. Open connector at the cannister end of the hose; open the small on/off lever on the gauge to allow the gas to flow into the cannister.
Close the lever on the gauge. Bleed down to target. Close cannister end of hose. Bleed off the rest of the pressure.
Pat yourself on the back for making your life easier.
NOTE: Longacre isn't too good about supplying directions with the product, but is happy to talk you through it. Ask for Gary.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2008, 02:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's what I use (Moton PSI gauge).
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2008, 03:05 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Dell
Looks a lot like my Penske-type gauge.
Does yours have any bleed down capability? That is what I like about the Longacre.
I especially don't like putting an air chuck to the cannister Schrader valve.
Maybe its just me.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I assume the bleed down you are referring to would be opening/closing the valve that locks onto the cans.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:32 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
I assume the bleed down you are referring to would be opening/closing the valve that locks onto the cans.
Actually, no - the bleed valve is just like the one on some tire pressure gauges; you just tap it to let a bit of nitrogen out. You can see it just below the gauge face. This allows you to read the resulting presure.
HTH
Old 02-11-2008, 03:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ah, now I understand. It does NOT have that feature. Would be nice if it did.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:44 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all of you who are happy with just setting your pressures to a particular value and not actually knowing where they are set before this, I don't even think you need a new gauge.

Just get a hose that connects to your nitrogen tank on one end and a quick release valve like on the Longacre gauge shown above on the other end. Set your pressure regulator on the nitrogen tank at the pressure you want. Hook up hose to shock, open quick release valve, close quick release valve. Done.

But I still think that being able to measure your pressure is important for tuning, not to mention being able to tell if you have a leaky shock.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 02-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's nice to measure your pressures, but remember that you cannot do that without messing them up, no matter how "small" the gauge & fittings you have. I made a digital gauge tester (on page 2) and as small a volume that it has, it still bleeds out 20 lbs from the shock each time you measure it.

So in simple terms, if I wanted 190 lbs, and I check it and it says 170, then I know that I had 190.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:59 PM
jaydubya
Racer

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the gauge I have only loses 1 psi of pressure when making a measurement. This is easy to test by simply hooking up the gauge, taking a measurement, disconnecting the gauge and then repeating the measurement.

I imagine that the Moton gauge shown above and the gauge that BrianP posted would behave similarly, since they have basically the same design.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 02-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, I have a hard time believing that your gauge only loses 1 psi. The gauge I have below has a very small chamber, and it loses a lot of pressure. Maybe the volume of nitrogen is very small in the moton 3-ways but even so. I have a Penske unit that is smaller than the Moton unit above. I'll have to try that.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Larry
Picture of the Longacre in use posted above. I like it; easy to use and comes in a very cool aluminum case.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jaydubya
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the gauge I have only loses 1 psi of pressure when making a measurement. This is easy to test by simply hooking up the gauge, taking a measurement, disconnecting the gauge and then repeating the measurement.

I imagine that the Moton gauge shown above and the gauge that BrianP posted would behave similarly, since they have basically the same design.
FWIW, I never use my gauge to check pressures. As Larry points out, the act of checking the pressures will definitely lower them. Whenever I want to "check" pressures, I hook it up to a nitrogen tank and set the pressures at where I want them.

With that being said, I do actually "check" the pressures first before I turn the nitrogen on. The pressure loss from checking doesn't appear to be very significant.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:59 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to divert the discussion for a moment, but for the 911 crowd, what pressures are you running front and rear and how often to you refill the canisters?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old post, good question.
I looked on the Moton website and it says 185psi both front and rear.
I assumed the rears would have been firmer.

Quick Reply: equipment for filling shock reservoirs