Old 12-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
2nd on Newcastle, great place to run!
http://www.newcastleraceway.com/rental.shtml
Unfortunately, they won't rent to anyone under the age of 14.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe another option to sharing is to pick up 2 used/setup karts. A year ago, I sold my son's old 80cc Cadet CRG chassis, 2 motors, electric starter, kart stand, spares, MyChron 3 Plus, for $2000......I probably had over $6000 new into it.

Check out the Classifieds on ekartingnews:
http://www.ekartingnews.com/viewforum.php?f=4

There are usually some good deals on turn key kart setups for kids.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:11 AM
tntporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had some great experiences with my kids at OVRP - My daughter now 24 took her first lesson at 10 . . . it was a little scary in those days because during open practice sessions they put the kids in slow carts out on a hot track with adults in shifter carts . . . not really pleasant as a parent to watch your fearless daughter taking shortcuts through the field and coming airborne back onto the track in traffic . . . I think that is where I got most of my gray hair. I survived and she loved the experience. My son who is 4 years younger also attended the carting school. It is now, IMHO, run much better. They have huge participation by kids and run a wonderful program. I would definitely start the kids in a slower kart . . . and a slower car when they reach driving age . . . OVRP has rentals available.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:43 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My son started karting (late!) at 10, and at 13 raced nationally last year in WKA Cadet and Yamaha Jr. Sportsman. We did several schools along the way but I guess I now feel like they are a waste of time until the kids have some serious seat time. A much much better alternative, albeit expensive, is to set up a private lesson with whatever coach(es) frequent your nearest track. I'm sure the guys at Comet can hook you up with someone. If you can get someone to spend a weekday all day with your kids when the track is closed, they'll make much more progress in a low stress atmosphere. Jon Nevoso would do this for you at OVRP in NJ, but I'm sure there is someone like him at Michiana or Newcastle.
I agree with the advocates of spec racing for a beginner, with rotax being the main game in town. You really don't want to get involved with the Comer/Yamaha arms-race-heartbreaks until you are in a lot deeper! (When you do get there, we're another vote for Doug Fleming although Adkins is closer to you and also extremely good)

Finally, another vote in favor of seperate karts for the boys: used equipment is incredibly abundant. Just stick with brands that are broadly supported by Comet or whatever the best local shop is...

as ltc points out, you can get even more confusing and conflicting advice at ekartingnews.com

Quick Reply: Karting School for my boys