most competitive car for F class?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I don't either anymore. Just trying to keep things lively!
How about this then? What is the difference between your engine and the one that is in the C2 of Oliver Z.? Shouldn't they be the same?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
How about this then? What is the difference between your engine and the one that is in the C2 of Oliver Z.? Shouldn't they be the same?
Yes, except that I can optimize my setup with a custom chip, and don't have the parasitic loss of the PS pump. Add to that my car runs 300 lbs lighter and has a shorter R&P, and I should have much better acceleration.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Also LWF, right?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Also LWF, right?
Absolutely!

Hey, you're not setting me up for something, are you?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No, not at all, good buddy ole pal. Seriously no I am not. Just trying to think about the difference between the two cars. OZ's car was also rumured to be a C4 originally with a seam welded chassis.
Is that car still alive?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, I heard that it has a new owner and something about tracking and club racing it.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:39 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

Larry:

I've raced against Rod in his 993 RS and I raced against Phil @ Daytona and I am still trying to figure out the 2-3 seconds in our group (I acknowledge that Phil is an accomplished driver) as you noted with the other 911.

I am toying with the idea of building a Boxster or Cayman for F. A developed example of either could be a very strong car moving forward in PCA.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:54 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Olivers car is now owned by Drew Brown (he was at Daytona in E, where he won both races). If you look at Olivers old results, his best times at the Glen were in the high 2:11s. Larry ran low 2:09s this year, so that nearly a 3 second delta. That seems a reasonable spread to me.

Btw, comparing F to B cars only means something if the drivers are equal, which is clearly not the case in this example.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:55 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Larry, correct me if i'm wrong... but you never raced Oliver (and his silver E c2) while you've had your RS? Just curious.

As for this discussion, I love it! Although its all heresay and BS. The truth is that Mark and Oliver can probably come off the corners quicker than others. There is also nothing against rebuilding a motor to factory tolerances, and my motor builder has never seen a c2 motor come apart that was anywhere near max stock compression. Although you can bet they go back together that way!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:57 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

EVEN BETTER IDEA: Maybe Ronnie Savenor will chime in here with some thoughts on Oliver's motor. I think those two went toe to toe (literally?) in E a few times.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:00 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DHinkle
Larry:

I've raced against Rod in his 993 RS and I raced against Phil @ Daytona and I am still trying to figure out the 2-3 seconds in our group (I acknowledge that Phil is an accomplished driver) as you noted with the other 911.

I am toying with the idea of building a Boxster or Cayman for F. A developed example of either could be a very strong car moving forward in PCA.
Thats one more for the boxster. PM sent.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:21 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
As for this discussion, I love it! Although its all heresay and BS. The truth is that Mark and Oliver can probably come off the corners quicker than others. There is also nothing against rebuilding a motor to factory tolerances, and my motor builder has never seen a c2 motor come apart that was anywhere near max stock compression. Although you can bet they go back together that way!
The other thing I think happens sometime is that people don't really understand the accordian effect. If two cars are exactly equal, you should see the car in front slowly "pulling away" as they started to get on the gas a bit sooner than the car behind. You see this really well in F1 where the cars accelerate so quickly. So if you are 0.2 behind a car going into the at Daytona, the gap will appear to grow from ~24ft at 80mph to ~46ft at 155mph, which will make it seem like they have pulled roughly a car length on you.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:30 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHinkle
Larry:

Rod's car was down on power at Daytona. It was slow at Road America too. I drove right by him on the straight and that had never happened before in the many times we've raced. Normally Phil, Rod and I have been very close. Must be time for a rebuild.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Larry, correct me if i'm wrong... but you never raced Oliver (and his silver E c2) while you've had your RS? Just curious.
Never mind the comment about Oliver's C2 vs Carreras, I was having brain fade. His motor should be stronger than a Carrera.

As for this discussion, I love it! Although its all heresay and BS. The truth is that Mark and Oliver can probably come off the corners quicker than others.
It is a lot of speculation, and stated as such. However, I can run right with the GT3s at the Glen, and at Daytona they were 4 seconds faster than me. They were also probably 15 mph faster. That is HP. If Oliver ran 3 seconds slower than me at the Glen, and then Drew Brown ran 3 seconds slower at Daytona, then I would say that our motors are fairly similar (as they should be) and that I really don't have much more top end than they do. So how again does Marks car go faster than an acknowledged bullet C2 at a HP track? I'd like to see it on a dyno.

There is also nothing against rebuilding a motor to factory tolerances, and my motor builder has never seen a c2 motor come apart that was anywhere near max stock compression. Although you can bet they go back together that way!
You know it. That's where all of the power is hiding.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

EVEN BETTER IDEA: Maybe Ronnie Savenor will chime in here with some thoughts on Oliver's motor. I think those two went toe to toe (literally?) in E a few times.
If you look at my RRII video you can see the two cars in front of me at the start. Also the rules for that event were a bit lax so no idea what weight they were running at, etc.

Quick Reply: most competitive car for F class?