Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might
Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.pca.org/clubrace/track_re...ck-Records.htm

If Ernie can do 2.08 in D, I don't see why Hupfer can't do 2.10. in F. ....especially if he had a nice tow around the high banking.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

I think what got people talking was that Hupfer was almost 3 seconds faster than the second place qualifier.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MJR911
Larry, I KNEW that post would wake you up! ......

We made 204 rwhp with our fully rebuilt F class motor on a mustang dyno back in the day. What did your old steed turn at Cyntex before you overhauled and sold?
My car made 183 RWHP before we rebuilt it, and it ran right at the front. With a fresh motor, headers and free flow muffler made 210. Unfortunately after I rebuilt it, I wasn't blowing anyone else away because that winter just about everyone else did their motor too!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:48 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
http://www.pca.org/clubrace/track_re...ck-Records.htm

If Ernie can do 2.08 in D, I don't see why Hupfer can't do 2.10. in F. ....especially if he had a nice tow around the high banking.
Ernie's Cayman S has a huge aero advantage especially at a track like Daytona.

Bill
Old 01-08-2007, 05:01 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Out of curiosity, what is the maximum wheel width allowed, front and rear, on an 85 Carrera while still being legal F?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:09 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I would say 9" front 10" rear as that is 1" above what was available that year from the factory.

Don
Old 01-08-2007, 05:14 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8" and 9" i believe.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Hupfers motor isn't legal, or all of the stars aligned and it's the best one in the world. I've run against him a little, and seen his results over the years. There is no way that he can run a 2:10.9 in qualifiying on a HP track like Daytona based upon driving alone. He was 3 seconds faster than Gary Grigsby, and it is my understanding that handling is where the 968 has its advantage over the 911s. He then drove in Rod Johnson's 993 RSCS and could only manage a 2:10.4 in a car that should have almost 100 more HP. Phil Blackstone did a 2:07.6 in his RSCS. You do the math.
I haven't seen it happen but have heard from several that Hupfer's engine has been gone through numerous times and nothing was found illegal. Honestly can't imagine why he would cheat since he is so far ahead of the next guy. Not a very good cheater if that is the case, and he certainly doesn't hold anything back.

I don't think it is fair to compare his times in his car, to those in someone else's 100k car. Look at what happened to Phil's car with a guest driver, I am sure Hupher left a lot on the table and who knows how Rod's car was/is set up. I have raced against this SC but with a different driver and it does have a lot of hp. I had to really work to get around him at Road Atlanta a few years ago.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:56 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Max 8s and 9s for an F class 911 Carrera. The 911 3.2 Carrera never had wider than 7 / 8 stock.

15" 7/8 combo earlier, 16" 6/8 combo later to make them handle worse but look cooler
Don't know if they ever used 7s on the fronts of the later ones but I think they are grandfathered in.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I haven't seen it happen but have heard from several that Hupfer's engine has been gone through numerous times and nothing was found illegal. Honestly can't imagine why he would cheat since he is so far ahead of the next guy. Not a very good cheater if that is the case, and he certainly doesn't hold anything back.

I don't think it is fair to compare his times in his car, to those in someone else's 100k car. Look at what happened to Phil's car with a guest driver, I am sure Hupher left a lot on the table and who knows how Rod's car was/is set up. I have raced against this SC but with a different driver and it does have a lot of hp. I had to really work to get around him at Road Atlanta a few years ago.
Greg, I certainly do acknowledge that Mark is a top notch driver, and his car is setup as good as it can be, but he just showed too much horsepower at Daytona, and that does leave one wondering. There was a guy out East here, Oliver Zitzman, who had an awesome C2. Dan Jacobs swore that his motor was legal, but he regularly pulled Carreras down the straight, and that should not happen. So either the motors are amazing examples of blueprinting to absolute perfection, or they are not quite stock in ways that cannot be determined.

And I am sure that Mark was easier on Rod's car, but Daytona is more HP than anything else, and even talking it easy in the infield will have less affect on lap times than at any other track.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Greg, I certainly do acknowledge that Mark is a top notch driver, and his car is setup as good as it can be, but he just showed too much horsepower at Daytona, and that does leave one wondering. There was a guy out East here, Oliver Zitzman, who had an awesome C2. Dan Jacobs swore that his motor was legal, but he regularly pulled Carreras down the straight, and that should not happen. So either the motors are amazing examples of blueprinting to absolute perfection, or they are not quite stock in ways that cannot be determined.

And I am sure that Mark was easier on Rod's car, but Daytona is more HP than anything else, and even talking it easy in the infield will have less affect on lap times than at any other track.
I raced against Oliver at RRII and his car was strong no doubt about that, and we were pretty much even on the banking, but my car was geared better and I could pull him once he went into 5th gear. You can see it in my race video on youtube. By pull do you mean inch ahead or blow by him? Oliver is a good driver and maybe he just got off the corner better, a couple mph on a long straight can easily put him past an equal car. The busstop is a great example of how carrying more speed can get you buy an equal car.

I don't know Mark so I don't have a dog in this fight, but that guy has been around PCA racing for a long time and if he was cheating I would like to think it would have been found out by now. His car sticks out like a sore thumb on the timing sheets.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

His car sticks out like a sore thumb on the timing sheets.
That's the truth. I know Putnam isn't a hp track but lapping within a second of the B class lap record-holding 996 GT2 is pretty impressive.
Gotta link to that video Greg?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chris M.
That's the truth. I know Putnam isn't a hp track but lapping within a second of the B class lap record-holding 996 GT2 is pretty impressive.
Gotta link to that video Greg?
Also impressive is that he is a second faster than David Schardt's record in E. Dave is no slouch and used to run World Challenge, Motorola Cup, etc.

Race 1st video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH3DwkvZB2Q

Race 2nd video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmuJIfFU5ag

Race 3rd video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAWR7Ijo4e0
Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I don't know Mark so I don't have a dog in this fight, but that guy has been around PCA racing for a long time and if he was cheating I would like to think it would have been found out by now. His car sticks out like a sore thumb on the timing sheets.
I don't either anymore. Just trying to keep things lively!

Quick Reply: most competitive car for F class?