Need new belts

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:04 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Veninger
Thanks John. I'll be buying a Schroth or Simpson set.

The T style sounded like the best option until I read the T style has a tendency to dig into people legs, so the Hybrid is the choice.
The Simpson setup looks like it takes a bit of time to run the subs through the lap rings and onto the shoulder strap to clip in.

Thanks for everyone's input. Now to go save up for those "expensive" belts.
John;

Be careful. I am referencing this set of belts: The Simpson Platinum DSL.

You were referencing the camlock variety, and they are NOT the same. Those are what is generally refered to as "formula" belts. The subs pass through "D-rings" on the lap belt, and attach to the soulder straps. This is an older style that was originally developed for lay-back formula single seater cars where the sub strap is the main means of keeping the driver properly positioned under the lap belt.

People started using these for sedans. Schroth has tested these and found that they offer less than optimal performance unless they are still worn VERY tight to the crotch. The performance numbers are lower because this style of belt does not DIRECTLY terminate ON the lap belt. Having immediate control of the lap belt is key to beginning the take-up sequence of the belt system. The quicker the lap belt is tensioned, the quicker the entire system takes up, and the lower the overal load is on the system AND the occupant. Dr. Melvin has actually measured decreased chest loads because of this phenomenon. Lap belts controlling chest loads. Cool, eh? Fascinating stuff!

The Simpson system pictured should work very well. They may even arguably be easier to put on than the Schroth Hybrid, which does take some time.

Referencing the "T" systems. The Hybrid has one advantage here, and that is that there is no hardware on the sub to take up room. Because there is no hardware in the way of YOUR hardware, that means that the lap belt can be worn lower. The lower the lap belt is, the better it controls hip motion. The "T" bar type systems require some extra room, meaning that the lap belt must be worn a little higher.

All this stuff is probably quite incremental, and may not make a difference in every case. However, there has been enough evidence found to suggest that all of these incremental improvements do add up into a safer system. How much?

You'll never need it until you hit something. Probably, in most cases, any system will do the job. Will you be the fortunate recipient of an "average" crash?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:20 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in this thread because I am buying new belts as well next month. Thank you all for the information and discussion, I appreciate it!

This may seem like a dumb and straight forward question, but to use a 6-point harness I assume that the seat needs to be built to utilize a six point harness? I don't think my Momo or Kirkey seats can take the 6 point. Where are the holes in the seat for a 6 point harness?

I get scared when I think about the distance in the five point harness sub strap and my groin (many jokes possible here!). Why are the holes for the sub belt so far forward on most seats??

Are the holes for the six point closer? Is there something I am missing here?

Thanks in advance for any info...

cheers,
Patrick
Old 12-21-2006, 02:46 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Impact rewebs for $93. Bill Simpson's new company. www.impactraceproducts.com
Hi John
If I am looking at the right place in the Impact Racing site, it appears he only does rewebbing for his own brand.
Wasn't Simpson using the name Crowe racing for awhile? I recall a set of 5-point belts I had in the previous track car; they were 'Bill Simpson's new company's product?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:03 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone use M&R ? They reweb as well. Located in the fabulous Garden State.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:42 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Guess Simpson is out since I want a cam lock.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:43 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I love the schroth hybrid sub design since it seems to have superior lap belt control but hate the high cost. Does anyone else use the concept of cam connected to shoulder belt? Has anyone tried to modify say a sabelt cam to have the shoulder as the fixed point vs the lap?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:55 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a home-modified seatbelt that's meant to save your life.... somehow, to me, it's clearly a bad idea.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:22 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
a home-modified seatbelt that's meant to save your life.... somehow, to me, it's clearly a bad idea.
Actually it may not be so far fetched. I think cams can be dissasembled to clean them. In fact my Scroth ones come with instructions to do so. Therefore, it is not so far fetched to change the cam to "fix anchor" on a shoulder strap vs a lap belt. Perhaps this in just not done because Scroth owns the patent? I have no idea. So maybe we Scroth users are just paying a premium due to patent protections when perhaps there is nothing to openning up a cam and moving the fixed anchor point 70 degrees to the next notch.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:00 AM
jlucas
Instructor

Killer deal on some Schroth Hybrid IIs that a local DE instructor & friend is selling:
http://rr-ax.com/bbs/forums/thread-v...osts=3&start=1

Jeremy Lucas
FastTechLimited.com
Old 12-25-2006, 12:21 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Jeremy, email sent to him!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:54 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just finished installing my new set of Schroth Hybrid belts. They are VERY nice!
Took some time to cut an opening in my Kirkey seat. I had to go almost 7" wide on the sub installation since the floor pan didn't allow me to install them at the 4" wide. Just a bit more "wrap" around my left leg.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendation and the great deal I received on the belts!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:44 AM
jlucas
Instructor

Glad to hear it John!

Jeremy Lucas
FastTechLimited.com

Quick Reply: Need new belts