Sponsored by:

Need new belts

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,606 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by vaio76109
+1, everyone I've talked to says the 3" works fine if you have the belts/mounted properly. I'm getting the Schroth Profi II(2" lap, 3" shoulders...)
Lemme tell ya, this is not entirely true when wearing a HANS. The newer HANS device, with the lip, make it easier than the old ones w/o the lip.....but, in the end, 2" section over the HANS work best, in my experience.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:38 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Impact rewebs for $93. Bill Simpson's new company. www.impactraceproducts.com
Old 12-20-2006, 06:13 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for all the input.
So the Schroth are tops in quality and function, at a premium price.

Why would the Simpson Platinum DSL be better than the G-Force? Does anyone has direct experience with the G-Force stuff? Does no one use them just due to price and feel they can't be as goo as belts costing $100+ more?

I have always put safety equipment on top of the list when it comes to my racing hobby, but I really don't like spending top dollar just for a name.

I want a harness that is comfortable, easy to use(hook up during an enduro break) and will keep my a$$ in the seat if something bad happens. Being able to re-webb in the future is a plus.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:18 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

The Gforce I have seen use super stiff webbing. Makes it really hard to adjust. I personally would never buy them. I have Impact belts and they are pretty nice.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:24 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Six months ago I got a set of the G-Force 5-point cam-lock belts and I was really impressed by how much better they were than the Autopower harness I was replacing. They were also a bargain at $110, and both SFI and FIA approved (FIA approval means they're good for 5 years). Apparently, they use the Sabelt cam. All I know is that the belt suppleness and hardware ease-of-use is much better than the Autopower cam system that I paid a lot more for.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:30 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had G-Force belts. They are fine, but make sure you get the "pull-up" option on the lap belts, because G-Force have super stiff webbing that is much, much harder to adjust than my new Schroth belts.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:34 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I wonder if they use different webbing suppliers or have changed their webbing. I bought mine in June of 06. They're very flexible.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack,

Have you ever tried the Schroth belts? I would not have noticed until I compared the two, and then the difference was incredible. Of course, I do not know whether G-Force has changed suppliers or not.

TD
Old 12-20-2006, 07:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by John Veninger
I want a harness that is comfortable, easy to use(hook up during an enduro break) and will keep my a$$ in the seat if something bad happens. Being able to re-webb in the future is a plus.
+1 on the Schroth Hybrid II.
http://english.schroth.com/racing/pr...d=13&id_kat1=1

If you have questions on Schroth, I would suggest contacting Joe Marko at HMSMotorsport in Peabody, MA:
http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/schroth
Very well respected individual when it comes to harnesses and Schroth.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
+1 on the Schroth Hybrid II.
http://english.schroth.com/racing/pr...d=13&id_kat1=1

If you have questions on Schroth, I would suggest contacting Joe Marko at HMSMotorsport in Peabody, MA:
http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/schroth
Very well respected individual when it comes to harnesses and Schroth.
+1 on Schroth and Joe over at HMS.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:21 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had Deist belts for 3 or 4 years, very comfortable belts. Use them with my HANS - they tend to slip off the yolks.

My next set of belts will be Schroth. I instructed in a 997 fitted with Schroth belts and just loved them.

I have also used a Sabelt harness this Fall in my friend's race car and those were good too.

I DID NOT like the Simpson platinum belts at all. I had them when they were first introduced and sent them back.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:59 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Veninger
Why would the Simpson Platinum DSL be better than the G-Force? Does anyone has direct experience with the G-Force stuff? Does no one use them just due to price and feel they can't be as goo as belts costing $100+ more?
John;

First let me say that I have no experience with the G-Force stuff. Having said that, their belts offer nothing different than what has been the norm for 30 years. The differences are in the sub, the material, and the hardware. Any belt set will "work." Some work better.

First, if the G-Force does have that stiff material, I can tell you I absolutely destest them without ever seeing them. Sabelt uses the same stuff. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get them as tight as you could a Schroth or Simpson, who use nice supple fabrics.

The hardware looks to be pretty good from what I can see on their website. I can tell you that the Simpson and Schroth hardware is very nice to live with.

The big difference is in the performance of the sub strap design. Both Schroth and Simpson have sub designs that you can wear snug to your groin without discomfort. The G-Force stuff is old generic single and "V" sub stuff that cannot be configured tight to the body without discomfort. When it comes to subs, to get max performance they should be in contact with the body just like all the other belts. The sub is critical in making the entire system work to its peak performance. Other systems work, but not as well. This is all proven fact. I can provide all of that if you like.

The Simpson Platinum DSL should work quite effectively, if maginally less so than the Schroth. This being due to the layout of the sub and its hardware. Simpson has gotten as close to the Schroth setup as they probably can without infringing on patent rights.

The worst you will say about the Schroth system is "boy they sure are expensive." I say it all the time when I think about mine (Hybrid II HANS). That is immediately followed by, "but they sure are comfortable!" You have never felt as big a connected-to-the-car feeling unless you've tried them.

All belts work if you never hit anything. After that, the differences matter. Some of them are incremental, maybe even marginal, but there ARE differences. It gets very techincal, but I can go into it if you'd like. You can also search this forum, as this has all been discussed this year.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:34 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks John.
I'll be buying a Schroth or Simpson set.

The T style sounded like the best option until I read the T style has a tendency to dig into people legs, so the Hybrid is the choice.
The Simpson setup looks like it takes a bit of time to run the subs through the lap rings and onto the shoulder strap to clip in.

Thanks for everyone's input. Now to go save up for those "expensive" belts.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:40 AM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they must've changed things but i had the exact opposite experience to jack's.

my first set of belts was autopower, chosen over all others similarly priced precisely BECAUSE they used sabelt hardware. the webbing was actually softer than my schroth belts. while driving someone else's car, i noticed his g-force belts were much stiffer. as for the g-force, i'm not sure how much of this has to do w/ the fact that they were fairly new and only had a few weekends on them, but i do remember my autopower were soft right out of the box. (5-6 yrs ago....)
Old 12-21-2006, 12:20 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just ordered the schroth hybrid II HANS thanks for all the great info in this thread (esp Lewis and John H!!!)

Quick Reply: Need new belts