Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which best mod to reduce 2' my lap times ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.
If I take the JIC Cross Comp. suspension off and move to the Moton triple adjustable what spring rates would you recommend I move to?
Let me preface this by saying that I don't have a lot of experience with spring rates for GT3s. That said, it depends on whether or not you plan to do any amount of street driving with the car. If so, I would stay below the 800 lb mark. If it is a track only car, I would run what the Cup Cars run. With the heavier weight of your street GT3, it will amount to a somewhat less stiff setup.

In either case, the 3 way adjustable shocks will allow you to dial them in perfectly. I have 1400 lb+ springs on my 2750 lb car, and thought that they might be too stiff for rougher tracks until I started adjusting the shocks. I was able to find a great setup that allowed the car to track right over the bumps.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Larry and I think this discussion is relevant to this thread.

My car weighs 3070 full tank and fluids WITHOUT me in it. (Add 170). The car is used about 99% track. I drive it around once a week if it is nice just to keep things up.

I was thinking AT LEAST #1000 front and #800 rear if not more, but will get Synergy's advice when they mount the Motons after things settle down following the 24 Daytona.

Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boqueron
Mods to the car, not to the driver ......
If you want to drop 2 seconds quickly, mod the driver.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
If you want to drop 2 seconds quickly, mod the driver.

Agree 100%.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:42 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes, but he specifically asked for just car mods. Without knowing his skill level you cannot simply say that improving the driver will save 2 seconds.

Plenty of amateur drivers are within 2 seconds of a top notch pro.
Maybe he is already?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

With respect, if he were really a top tier driver, he would already know the answer to his own question. Top tier guys usually know enough to figure out where to get additional time from the equipment when they are driving at their max.

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Yes, but he specifically asked for just car mods. Without knowing his skill level you cannot simply say that improving the driver will save 2 seconds.

Plenty of amateur drivers are within 2 seconds of a top notch pro.
Maybe he is already?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Buy a trailer....
Old 12-12-2006, 01:13 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 38D
Personally, I would just buy a cup car before modifying a street GT3. You are going to dump a ton of money and it will never be as good a the GT3 cup.
Right tool for the task. Agree 100%.

Stephen
Old 12-12-2006, 01:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
With respect, if he were really a top tier driver, he would already know the answer to his own question. Top tier guys usually know enough to figure out where to get additional time from the equipment when they are driving at their max.

WERD!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, fine. Let's talk equipment to mod the car to get 2 seconds.

Data acquisition.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:04 PM
boqueron
Pro

Ok. Just to give you an idea on the driver : This one is 1,5 seconds slower WITH THE SAME CAR, the same day AND THE SAME TRACK than the actual leader of the spanish GT championship ( Porsches/Ferraris/etc....
I Would love to have more time to track ( I do it once a month if possible ), and learn....but I can not mainly due to familly reasons... and money, and time, and other excuses, like work, track avalaibility, etc..

The only way to increase my track time would be to enter into races which I stopped doing.....20 years ago.

I would agree with Veloce Raptor...but there are times when the driver ability exceeds his technical knowledge.....which is my case..

Also, and thats the main point, I hate to be at the back of my friend with is Manthey modified GT3... with slicks...
Old 12-12-2006, 02:38 PM
jim3
Instructor

Sell the GT3 and get a cup car
Old 12-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by jim3
Sell the GT3 and get a cup car

It always seems to come back to this does it not? This is not only one answer to the question but probably the best answer... that is if speed is all you need.

Just as most people do on this thread... as it is in reference to a street GT3... I long to know what it would be like to strap on a cup car, though it may not be the best answer for all people.

Do you intend to race or are you just looking for that extra 2 seconds on lapping days? If one can be content to just do the lapping days, it would seem the added expense of running the cup car just for that would seem ridiculous if you can seperate yourself from the dream of actually doing it.

If you are not going to race, then the street GT3 is a fine machine for such and as long as you understand you will never receive back what you put into the car as far as mods go, then perhaps adding some things would not be unreasonable.

If you are going to race, several have noted how the cup cars seem to be where many go that have the money but not the common sense to run them and thus that class may be where you find much of the caos that has been discussed here in regards to club racing.

I do not race. I never have. I have dreamed of such and sit now trying to decide if that is something I need to do. I want to do it, but do I need to do it?
The costs of just my lapping days with the GT3, set up, tires and the such is enough already to fund a small country... I can't imagine what it would be like doing this with a cup car!!!

Last edited by Chris L.; 12-13-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris, you are right in that a cup car is not the panacea for all drivers. In fact, they are brutal machines that are not for the timid, and cannot be driven fast unless they are driven hard. They are fast, twitchy, have tons of grip and are very bouncy. You are very busy driving them as well.

A street GT3 by comparison is a very smooth and forgiving machine. The softer suspension, longer gear set and added weight serve to make the car very smooth, easy to drive and pretty much unflappable.

The only problem is that any legal performance improvements that you make to a cup car will not negatively affect the value, while modded GT3s are worth less than bone stock ones. Maybe this will change in time.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:03 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boqueron
I've got a standart GT3 with Roland Kussumauls settings.

Okay Then , I would have thought this would have been enough

The rest of us have to settle for ordinary settings

Quick Reply: Which best mod to reduce 2' my lap times ?