Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster PCA F Class Racer.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:52 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone think the Boxster's and Cayman will be competitive in E Class based on the 2007 rules. They are up against the 944 Turbo S. What is the top E car. I hear that the turbos usually run a little more boost then normal and it is difficult to prove.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:58 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oliver Zitzmann reigned supreme in a c2 in E for a few years before going open wheel racing. Before that Savenor battled 944tS in E but I think a Cayman or boxster S really have yet to be developed. If money were no object i'd run the latest car, possibly cross over with SCCA touring classes?! Really comes down to your preferences. A good driver could win in any of the above platforms that are well developed.

What are the stats on a Boxster S vs Cayman NON S?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:36 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJR911
Oliver Zitzmann reigned supreme in a c2 in E for a few years before going open wheel racing. Before that Savenor battled 944tS in E but I think a Cayman or boxster S really have yet to be developed. If money were no object i'd run the latest car, possibly cross over with SCCA touring classes?! Really comes down to your preferences. A good driver could win in any of the above platforms that are well developed.

What are the stats on a Boxster S vs Cayman NON S?
This is kinda tricky because the old 986 Boxster S in E Class and so is the new 987 Boxster non-s is in E class along with the Cayman. I guess my point is that you can't outboost the turbos and I hear they boost more then allowed.

The Boxster S (986) is 2854/250/11.42 or 2910/258/11.28
The Boxster (987) is 2855/2877 240/245 11.90/11.74
The Cayman is 2866/245/11.67
*these are lbs/hp/ratio
Old 12-15-2006, 11:59 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaholmes
Does anyone think the Boxster's and Cayman will be competitive in E Class based on the 2007 rules. They are up against the 944 Turbo S. What is the top E car. I hear that the turbos usually run a little more boost then normal and it is difficult to prove.
News to me.

It's actually quite easy to prove. They impound your car. Check your chips. Then hook up their own boost guage and drive your car around the track measuring boost levels. If they fall outside of spec, you're DQ'd.

It's much harder to police camshaft and internal engine changes.

The thing to remember is that the Turbo S makes more horsepower than the amount stated in the factory specs. Most of those cars are closer to 265hp than they are to 247hp.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:07 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
News to me.

It's actually quite easy to prove. They impound your car. Check your chips. Then hook up their own boost guage and drive your car around the track measuring boost levels. If they fall outside of spec, you're DQ'd.

It's much harder to police camshaft and internal engine changes.

The thing to remember is that the Turbo S makes more horsepower than the amount stated in the factory specs. Most of those cars are closer to 265hp than they are to 247hp.
Not really hard at all. At the Daytona race I saw them pull valve covers and check cams, check dsiplacement & compression, and even check gear ratios. I think we will see more and more in depth scrut checks at the big races.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, my 2 cents... buy Jim B's car. That is by far the cheapest way for you to get into a late model safe, fast club racer. You've seen the math already, under the current rules, expect to spend $50k plus to campaign a boxster. I have suggested a Spec Boxster class for 2008, hopefully CPA will listen. The rules very extremely simple... stock 2.5l or 2.7l Boxster. 2.7l carries a weight penalty to match power to weight ratio, DOT-R tires of stock sizes, stock brakes, MO30 or ROW030 suspension, with 030 sway bars, brake ducts are allowed, pads are free, race seat, seatbelts and breykrause roll bar extension. That it, nothing else. Think of it like the PCA Showroom Stock class for autocross. I think you could build a competitive car for under $30k, exactly what you were looking for. The car would get killed in F though :-(
Old 12-17-2006, 06:02 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Jim, my 2 cents... buy Jim B's car. That is by far the cheapest way for you to get into a late model safe, fast club racer. You've seen the math already, under the current rules, expect to spend $50k plus to campaign a boxster. I have suggested a Spec Boxster class for 2008, hopefully CPA will listen. The rules very extremely simple... stock 2.5l or 2.7l Boxster. 2.7l carries a weight penalty to match power to weight ratio, DOT-R tires of stock sizes, stock brakes, MO30 or ROW030 suspension, with 030 sway bars, brake ducts are allowed, pads are free, race seat, seatbelts and breykrause roll bar extension. That it, nothing else. Think of it like the PCA Showroom Stock class for autocross. I think you could build a competitive car for under $30k, exactly what you were looking for. The car would get killed in F though :-(
And you would eat tires at an alarming rate, as you can't get enough negative camber with the stock setup.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Colin, I expected better from you. Not every tire on the market requires > 2.5 degrees of camber. MPSC are a definite no, the new Hoosiers require less, but the best choice is probably a shaved Dunlop SP Race, Kuhmo, Hankook or other R compounds typically designed for the rice racer crowd. Most of them have a carcus with shape and materials to perform optimually with low camber numbers that you could get with an ROW 030 Boxster -1.0/-2.0. Keep in mind the car would have a relatively soft suspension and chassis compared to what you are used to. Its setup would be different that those in "full race" classes. The concept of a spec class like this is to provide an option for those looking for an easy entry into race. This also means a car that can effectively driven to the race, prefferable on the same tires you are going to race on. An with this spec, I believe it can accomplish that.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Custom Cage: $2,000

Yeah, that's what I told the spousal unit / team owner it would cost...

She believed it too!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:19 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Jimb's and 38d's are great cars and well set-up for their respective class but they are way too much for me right now. Both in price and power.

I am still looking into pricing for setting up a boxster. I have seen some decent pricing for suspension, safety and engine in multiple stages. The suspension would be either JRZ or Leda. These came from a couple of race shops that have been lurking and wanting to set up a boxster and have experience with the 986/987 platform. The suspension and cage would be around $10k. I agree that could be on the light side. This basically gets a boxster on the track and doesn't have the misc safety parts for clubracing.

The Spec Boxster is still an interesting idea, but I think the PCA stock classes have better traction in the midwest. Spec rules are always tricky, some people always what more then the rule allow for. But 030 setup is a good start.

Ultimately what I am after is a car that I can set-up in stages, that when done, will fit into a PCA stock class and do well. I also want a cheaper doner car that I can afford to bend up at the track.

I still have some learning to do before I am ready for clubracing.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:43 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Colin, I expected better from you. Not every tire on the market requires > 2.5 degrees of camber. MPSC are a definite no, the new Hoosiers require less, but the best choice is probably a shaved Dunlop SP Race, Kuhmo, Hankook or other R compounds typically designed for the rice racer crowd. Most of them have a carcus with shape and materials to perform optimually with low camber numbers that you could get with an ROW 030 Boxster -1.0/-2.0. Keep in mind the car would have a relatively soft suspension and chassis compared to what you are used to. Its setup would be different that those in "full race" classes. The concept of a spec class like this is to provide an option for those looking for an easy entry into race. This also means a car that can effectively driven to the race, prefferable on the same tires you are going to race on. An with this spec, I believe it can accomplish that.
I have never seen a tire that can stand up to real track abuse on a stock suspension. At 8/10s, they are fine. But drive them closer to the limit and you cord the outside in about 3 days...easily. In my opinion, limiting the spec class to the M030 suspension will keep out the fast drivers, which will make the class a bust. You at least need a reasonable suspension so that you don't chew tires up at an redonculous rate. The POC spec Boxster class seems reasonable, as they have allowed the PSS9 kit. The PSS9s have thier own issues, but at least you would get decent tire wear.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

From what I've heard, the POC spec Boxster class also allows you to run RSR fron uprights and other big bucks mods that defeat the general purpose for a spec class, which is keeping costs down

Quick Reply: Boxster PCA F Class Racer.