Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to the Open Track Challenge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 06:27 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to the Open Track Challenge?

I'm guessing that this event doesn't exist anymore, based on the lack of info available on the net or here.

Is it dead and gone, is there hope for a revival, or has it been replaced or renamed???
Old 11-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

OPEN TRACK CHALLENGE

PM JacK Olsen. Jack ruled the event
Old 11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

The original organizers gave it over to NASA to be the sanctiononing body, and NASA didn't promote it and it withered on the vine. Part of the reason the original crew gave it up was the death of Paul Mumford, who'd participated in it from the beginning. The 2004 event was re-named in honor of Mumford. Here's a Racer Magazine article about it.

Doug Hayashi and Eric Messley won the Unlimited Division the final year, while Tyson Schmidt and I won our class and the overall Touring Division title. My car's picture seems like it's going to be stuck at www.opentrackchallenge.com for the duration. It's a shame, because One Lap of America is now the only comparable event, and One Lap has its own set of issues, including goofy venues and too much time traveling for something like 20 minutes on each race track.

Quick Reply: What happened to the Open Track Challenge?